• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any news out of PAX East?

Thraug

First Post
I haven't been able to find any discussion threads on PAX East. I know it's only 1 day in but I thought there would be some news coming out of this con. Anyone have any threads/links to news items?

lkj

Hero
Well, the NDA'd playtest was last night. And they just finished the panel. There's a fair bit of twitter chatter from people covering the panel, but, being twitter, it's pretty bare bones.

I expect you'll see some write ups before the day is done.

AD

techno

Explorer
Campaign settings as modules that can alter core rules.
Grids and minis optional in the core.
Will not let the wizard overpower martial classes.
About 20% done and on 4th iteration of DND Next.
Perception will be an ability check.
Focus on non-combat roles and abilities returning.
Giving more power back to the DM.
Unusual classes may be better as option for core classes.
Bringing back step-by-step adventure creation instructions.
Focus on shorter games.
Skill challenges not in core.
No info on public playtest date.

Last edited:

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
The latest example of WotC's tendency to say "We want to do X. And in order to do that, we're going to do not-X". "We're going to do a huge, open, public playtest. And in order to do that, we're going to play our cards even closer to our chest than we did in developing the last two editions." :erm:

Seriously, what did you expect? There is a closed playtest and the on-site playtest at the conventions. Both include an NDA - and while those two are going on, nothing else is going to happen. That's how every playtest works.

BryonD

Hero
Focus on shorter games.
I've seen this a few time now and it has me thinking.

I doubt I will be a huge fan of a game that is built with that as a "focus".
But that focus may very well be a strong part of making it be a game I'm not a fan of and also be the biggest version of D&D ever....

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I think the focuse is on the advantures as the building block of the game so if, for example, in 4e a three hour gaming meeting will be one huge combat in D&DNext you will be able to fit an entire advantures in that three hour window.

In essence the "encounters" are getting bigger and exploring an entire level of a dungeon is built as being part of the same "encounter".

Warder

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Longer games will be possible whether they focus on it or not.

Shorter games will be impossible unless they focus on shorter games.

In other news, WotC has stated that the panel will be on YouTube in the next week.

BryonD

Hero
Longer games will be possible whether they focus on it or not.

Shorter games will be impossible unless they focus on shorter games.
I agree with the first statement. But still can easily see how it may not do as good of a job. Again, it must be BETTER than what I already have.

I don't agree with the second point at all. "One shot" adventures have been a staple of D&D for decades without a focus on "short" in the underlying system.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I agree with the first statement. But still can easily see how it may not do as good of a job. Again, it must be BETTER than what I already have.

I don't agree with the second point at all. "One shot" adventures have been a staple of D&D for decades with a focus on "short".
The following is an honest question that I ask completely without irony: Have you played much 4th Edition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads