• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any other good alternate history RPGs out there?

VGmaster9

Explorer
I know there are some like Deadlands and Space 1889, but I was wondering if there are any other decent alternate history RPGs that I haven't heard about yet.

NiTessine

Explorer
Well, there's the Wild Talents family of games from Arc Dream, especially Godlike, which is about superheroes in WWII. It's one of my favourite games. They also have the supplements This Favoured Land and Kerberos Club for supers in the American Civil War and Victorian England. All three have lovingly crafted alternate timelines and they're a joy to read.

Starman

Adventurer
Ars Magica is excellent. Take late medieval Europe and treat it as if the legends/fairy tales are real. It also has an excellent magic system.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Godlike: supers in WW2
Northern Crown and Nyambe: d20 FRPG set in the late 1700s (mostly Americas & Africa)
Swashbuckling Adventures: d20 FRPG set in 1600-1700s (with different names)
HERO: like GURPS, you can run anything you want in it.
Amazing Engine - For Faerie, Queen, and Country setting: Magical Victorian England

karlindel

First Post
It depends a bit on how you define alternate history. Is it still alternate history if the major events are the same, but lots of the details change? Also, does it count if it's in another world, but it's basically our history with the serial numbers filed off? Here are some suggestions:

Colonial Gothic - American Colonial period with magic in the background

7th Sea - Swashbuckling adventure game with some magic, basically set in Europe but with different country names. Swashbuckling Adventures is the D20 version

Hollow Earth Expeditions - Pulp adventure inside a hollow earth, otherwise similar to our early 20th century

Spirit of the Century - Pulp Supers, basically historic, but encourages making changes to history for the sake of the game

Tour of Darkness - Savage Worlds Vietnam era plot point campaign

Weird War II - D20 Modern alternate history World War II

Shadowrun - effectively alternate history, given that it was written some time ago and the events it predicted did not occur ;-)

Ariosto

First Post
Zenobia - alternate-historical and monstrous and magical Near East circa 260 A.D..

Castle Falkenstein - a Victorian Age enlivened with Faerie and the trappings of scientific romances

Last edited:

Walt C

Explorer
Let's see...

Victoriana - an alternative 19th century with magic, steamtech, and fantasy races (as the current Line Developer I'm a bit biased on this one)

Etherscope - an alternative 1984, where the discovery of "etherspace" in 1876 turns the world into Victorian-esque cyberpunk. This one uses a d20 variant.

Clockwork & Chivalry - an alternative English Civil War with magic and steamtech. Uses BRP.

Witch Hunter - an alternate 17th century where magic has muted the Age of Reason

All for One: Regime Diabolique - still close to our 1636, but starting to veer off into alternate history

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads