• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any other good alternate history RPGs out there?

deinol

First Post
I want to second Roma Imperious, I really enjoyed the main book.

GURPS does also have some excellent supplements that are worth reading even if you don't use the system itself.

Grue

First Post
Twilight 2000 or Dark Conspiracy. GDW's gone but I think you can pick up the pdfs from rpgnow. (Don't recall who licensed Twilight 2013).

Call of Cthulhu. Or for more Alien Space Bats and Other Magic there's Torg.

A WW2 point of departure based rpg...Reich Star (set in a future where the Nazis and Nippon win). I wouldn't call the rules decent but it's solidly alt history.

Hrmm...mayfair games' Underground. Technology from a crashed alien spaceship allows humanity to make superhumans in the near future (grim & satirical). The Castle Falkenstein core rulebook is prettier but it really is a colorful book.

Adventure! in White Wolf's trinity universe (or Aberrant for that matter).

NiTessine

Explorer
Ah, I forgot to mention FVLMINATA. It's a roleplaying game set in an ancient Rome where they figured out black powder. They have guns in ancient Rome!

I thought the system, where the characters are defined by their humors and Roman virtues like gravitas, was pretty nifty in its own way.

ArghMark

First Post
2 of my favorite alt histories -

1. Ars Magica. Have to agree with the above poster, truly excellent system, and one which leads to having games that truly go to epic campaigns. Current game going 1.5 years.

I like to explain it like this: Europe in 1220 where the myths are true. Angels save, demons corrupt, faeries try to trap you and magic exists. Great setting, though some of the extra books are a little hit/miss.

2. Godlike: Great fun! Supers game in WW2, focus on the WW2. Could be run as a normals with teeny powers game or a higher power level. Expect some deaths.

ArghMark

First Post
2 of my favorite alt histories -

1. Ars Magica. Have to agree with the above poster, truly excellent system, and one which leads to having games that truly go to epic campaigns. Current game going 1.5 years.

I like to explain it like this: Europe in 1220 where the myths are true. Angels save, demons corrupt, faeries try to trap you and magic exists. Great setting, though some of the extra books are a little hit/miss.

2. Godlike: Great fun! Supers game in WW2, focus on the WW2. Could be run as a normals with teeny powers game or a higher power level. Expect some deaths.

Thanael

Explorer
Shadowrun. Retro-SciFi-Cyberpunk-Fantasy mashup ftw. Can't beat the in-charactertalk in the sourcebook, chummer!

Dresden Files is a more recent one that I hear is quite good.

Last edited:

Remove ads