• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any rule for dying epicly?

Li Shenron

Legend
Is there any variant or whatever in published material to play someone's death in an epic way, such as a PC deserves, especially after adventuring with the others for years and years?

What I am looking for is something different than dying immediately (for reaching -10 or for another death effect or instant kill) or going unconscious before passing. In books and movies the death of a character important to the plot is always portrayed in quite a memorable way, and the dying is given the chance to say something to be remembered, or give his magic ring to his favored companion. How can I reproduce this within D&D rules? I mean, how can a PC get to die, know he is dying and is not possible to save him anymore with a healing spell? :)

Possibly, if he drops all of a sudden from >0 Hp to <-9 I can just tell the players there's nothing they can do to save him anymore, but there's still time for a farewell speech, it doesn't really need rules for this. But if the PC goes unconscious by the core rules, he dies silent. :) Any suggestion?

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
I allow characters to make Fortitude saves to remain conscious (but disabled) after dropping below 0 hp. They can use their partial action to do heroic things if they wish; often they just quaff.

Aaron

Trepelano

First Post
I have used what i call the "heroic death round". Basically if a character goes to -10 he is dead. If he is unconcious he wakes up (just like in the movies) for one final desperate act.

All D20 roles are 20 (automatically crits), all variables are maximized and he gets an extra move equivilant action.

Nothing can save him from dying, period. He is already dead - he just can't admit it, yet. But his death can be meaningful (if he wants).

The main thing is that players have to understand that this is a reward, not an entitlement.

Angcuru

First Post
Trepelano has a good point there. But when Epic characters die, chances are that they can (and will) be resurrected.

Hecatæus

First Post
I guess a critically failed mounted lance charge which results in pole vaulting into a dragon's maw does quite count as 'heroic' eh?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads