• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any talk of a Spycraft SRD?

Dieter

First Post
I know there's alot of copyright issues involved, but I'm throwing this question out for discussion.

While the price of the Spycraft is well worth the $35, I'm thinking alot of people will be hesitant to invest in a untried and untested (was there any playtesting?) system.

After having digested the contents (mmm, very meaty) of the Spycraft rulebook, there's alot of things that can't be easily translated from the "D&D" SRD. And without having everyone buying the rulebook (which I don't think everyone needs), I was wondering if any steps were being made to make a legitimate/legal version of the SRD for Spycraft.

Such things I'd want:

List of Feats and descriptions
List of Skill and descriptions
A simple explanation of the full/half action system.
Action dice

It doesn't have to be a concise, just something for the pedestrian gamer/player who doesn't want to plunk down $35.00.

Henry

Autoexreginated
As I recall, isn't there a Spycraft Lite version on their web site. for people to try out? Those rules could be used for others to make characters with, etc. Beyond that, why wouldn't people let the game succeed or fail beyond its own merits, rather than possibly stealing money from their pockets by a distilled version of their rulebook?

If you are talking about just a rules handout for your players personally to use, then the rules-lite version on their site ought to work well, along with a one or two page summary from you about any extras they need to know about.

If you are talking about for DM's to pick up and run, then they SHOULD buy the full book if they wish to run the system. Any more interest than that should mean an investment of some sort...

Voneth

First Post
The lite rules also have a freebie print run as well, check out your local game store. My store had several copies and then had a couple more last weekend.

Dieter

First Post
I suppose the Spycraft Lite publication is good enough for most, but after getting the rulebook, everything in there seems a bit pedestrian in comparison to the real deal.

I'm not looking to impede on anyone's legal rights as a writer or publisher, I just want slightly heavier version of the Lite rules.

leaghe

First Post
While the price of the Spycraft is well worth the $35, I'm thinking alot of people will be hesitant to invest in a untried and untested (was there any playtesting?) system.

Are you joking? Are you sure you have the book?

On page 3, there is a list of over 250 playtesters credited. I've never seen such an exhaustive list of playtesters included in a RPG before.

My understanding was that the SRD was primarily for publishers who want to develop new games, not your generic player who doesn't want to buy a product without thoroughly examining it first. I think AEG deserves much credit for developing such an excellent game and releasing the Lite version to whet the appetites of gamers.

Leaghe

MythandLore

First Post
Dieter said:
Such things I'd want:
List of Feats and descriptions
List of Skill and descriptions
A simple explanation of the full/half action system.
Action dice
They explaine a lot of this in the lite version.
There are a 150+feats (inculding one of the best martial arts feat systems yet) and a bunch of new skills. (Personally I think their feats are amazinglly well done, Unlike some games all of them are useful)
full/half actions are a easier to use version of the dnd action rules.
Alot of the game is a about stream lining the dnd rules so the game runs smoother.
There is way to much stuff in that book write about everything.
Did you read anyone's reviews about the game?
http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=SPCR
leaghe said:
My understanding was that the SRD was primarily for publishers who want to develop new games, not your generic player who doesn't want to buy a product without thoroughly examining it first. I think AEG deserves much credit for developing such an excellent game and releasing the Lite version to whet the appetites of gamers.
I totally agree with you, the lite version is one better then like any other company has done to let people test the game out before.
Just buy the darn thing, it's as good as everyone says it is, the balance of the game is amazing, you know there had to be tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of playtesters on it.
If you really need to learn more about the game did you look thru their whole website?
http://www.shadowforcearcher.com
In perticular the RESOURCES section.
http://www.shadowforcearcher.com/resources/
At the bottom of the page are "Agent Class Previews"
They have all 6 classes in the game completely there.
1-20th levels of each with everything, and unlike some other some games were you have a class that gives you only one lame bonus feat every 2 levels for 20 levels, in this game you get powers (or your powers advance) for every level you take in the class.
At this point if you don't like what you've seen don't get it!
Or if you do like it get it!
Just don't uses SRDs as the game, support a games you like for gosh sakes.

Lizard

Explorer
How to make a Spycraft SRD

Look at page 286 of the Spycraft core rules.

Listed there is what is, and isn't, Open Game Content in the book.

Transcribe everything listed as open game content, and publish it as the "Modern Spy SRD" (You will not be allowed to use, or refer to, "Spycraft" in the SRD -- the name is PI)

Remember, part of the nature of the Open Gaming License is that you don't need permission -- if you follow the rules, you can *freely* copy, modify, derive from, and redistribute all Open Gaming Content. The Spycraft SRD already exists within the Spycraft core book -- it just needs someone willing to extract it.

You don't even need to rephrase or rewrite anything, except where PI is included in the otherwise open text. You can copy it verbatim.

I'm not saying this is a trivial task. There's a lot of material there, and figuring out what is and isn't open content isn't easy. But it can be done, and legally. I'd recommend running your final draft past AEG before posting it, but they can't out-and-out deny you the right to distribute it; all they can do is say "Thus and such isn't Open Gaming Content" and let you edit or remove it.

AEG probable doesn't have the time or resources to release an SRD; even WOTC is forced to dribble their out piecemeal, and they have the most to gain. But the 'SRD' for *ANY* Open Gaming product, by definition, exists already. (None of the D&D material published by WOTC is published under the OGL, so, there's no SRD hiding in there. But there is one hiding in every other produce released under the OGL.)

Enforcer

Explorer
Before transcribing it to OGL, get your local game stores to at least buy a display copy. I'll bet that anyone who liked the Lite rules, and can flip through the real thing at a store will plunk down the $35. I think it's that good. If you must adapt material from it, make sure you email AEGJohnZ@aol.com like it says on the aforementioned p. 286 first.

And as for the price, yes it might seem high to some, but it's:

a) Hardcover--a must for big rulebooks that will be referenced umteen times. Also, this is comparable to Oriental Adventures and less expensive than the FRCS! And since it's not WotC, I'd guess a lot of that cost comes from a smaller print run.

b) Oh so meaty. Ye gods does it have a lot of stuff in there! I love how even a 20th level Soldier would be pressed to get all of the ranged combat feats.

c) Already supported, check out AEG's site for the upcoming sourcebooks. I'll definitely be getting the weapons book. This isn't a one-night-stand product (like Wheel of Time pretty much is).

Dieter

First Post
The main reason I'm questing for an OGL is that I'm running PBEM game and well, I have players all over the place. Maybe I should have prefaced my desire for an OGL with that, oh well.

Granted, Spycraft Lite is probably the best freebie game material I've ever seen. Heck, the rules actually work and itself is pretty beefy.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs and being ungrateful for what's already out there, it was a just an idea that I thought might be in the works by someone like ourselves.

dpmcalister

Explorer
Just to add my 2p to the conversation, I think Spycraft Lite is *the* best free rpg around. Fair enough, it only covers 1st level characters but, when you download the classes from the sites already listed, you've more or less got the full rules (the only things missing are more gear, gadgets, feats, full descriptions of the skills and the Mastermind system).

Of course, I'd highly recommend buying the full rules (well worth it in my opinion). It's the same price as the Star Wars rules and, IMHO, much better (and therefore better value for money).

Like I said, just my 2p worth...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads