• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any tips for 1st-time Spycraft GM?

Chaldfont

First Post
A question for any who have GM'd Spycraft: How did it go? Do you have any tips? What was different about Spycraft from other d20 games?

I plan to run one of the intro adventures from the spycraftrpg.com site and I'm really looking forward to it. I think I like the Spycraft action dice system the best out of all the "hero points" systems I've seen for d20.

Chingerspy

First Post
Spycraft is great!
Living Spycraft is one of the best campaigns IMO too. Although I didn't play LS at Gencon UK (well didn't play anything in the end just got very very drunk) I had played several missions in the past year.

Its the madcap situations the team can easilyget themselves into that make the game somuch fun. I've played with semi-serious spymasters and it always seems to go a little Pete Tong in the end :)

Hope you have immense fun playing/Gming SC mate. And let the players do what they want as long as its semi-doable its a good start :)

beldar1215

Explorer
Spycraft rocks! Here are a few things I learned when I ran.
1. Make sure you understand the chase rules. They can be a bit confusing.
2. Give out action dice, so you do run out. The group I played with used all their action dice every session.
3. Give bonuses for combat when players and NPC's are close to each other. I didn't do this when I ran the first time. I had a Player and an NPC fire guns at each other from less than 10ft and because of bad dice rolls, we both kept missing. This made the Player very mad. I think that a small bonus, say +2 to +4, would make that situation better.

I hope these help. I'm getting ready to run Spycraft for a group of young people, 9-15 years old. It should be very interesting.

AscentStudios

First Post
Welcome to the fold :)

In my totally unbiased opinion, Spycraft is a great d20 game. However, it does make substantial changes to the system, that may be a little daunting for the neophyte GM. Things that I would suggest understanding sufficently before running:

* Learn how education, inspiration, and favor checks work - these are key play elements and excellent tools for you to keep a game moving along at the right pace.
* Reread combat. There are substantial changes made to the combat system in terms of actions, abilities, attacks of opportunity (they don't exist),movement and the like. Definately worth a read.
* Learn the chase system. It's pretty much unique in the d20 world, but can be pretty daunting at first. Learn it well so you can help your players learn it, and you will find it's a wonderful tool.
* Check out the Spycraft boards -- the regulars are a great bunch of folks who are always willing to help new players and offer advice. Alderac's website also has lots of free downloads to take advantage of, including Living Spycraft missions, new rules, classes and gear.

Good luck and hope to see you around!

waterdhavian

First Post
welcome and good luck.

I have been trying to get a real campaign up and running for ever now. My current group has gone thru more starting sessions than i can count. Just remember to take it easy. Dont get sidetracked and keep focused on the mission the pcs are SUPPOSE to be on. One thing that kept us from going anywhere was that many of the players involved had no idea how to play modern times/spy genre. They were so used to D&D, that they couldnt do anything sly or slick. They killed cops, home owners, trashed restaurants and the like. It was a sick and twisted scene. I have planned and written about 5 actual missions and have ideas for about a total of 20. However it wont go anywhere with this group, must look out for some other willing players.

if you have players who are not used to that game play you may want to give them a heads up or a nudge in the right direction if they get lost or end up doing something dumb. Encourage them to use action dice and make inspirations and education checks. And give action dice to those who are really getting the hang of being a spy, so that the others will follow.

waterdhavian

First Post
welcome and good luck.

I have been trying to get a real campaign up and running for ever now. My current group has gone thru more starting sessions than i can count. Just remember to take it easy. Dont get sidetracked and keep focused on the mission the pcs are SUPPOSE to be on. One thing that kept us from going anywhere was that many of the players involved had no idea how to play modern times/spy genre. They were so used to D&D, that they couldnt do anything sly or slick. They killed cops, home owners, trashed restaurants and the like. It was a sick and twisted scene. I have planned and written about 5 actual missions and have ideas for about a total of 20. However it wont go anywhere with this group, must look out for some other willing players.

if you have players who are not used to that game play you may want to give them a heads up or a nudge in the right direction if they get lost or end up doing something dumb. Encourage them to use action dice and make inspirations and education checks. And give action dice to those who are really getting the hang of being a spy, so that the others will follow.

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
I recently ran Spycraft for six months before my group and I gave up on it. It is a great game once you get everyone to learn it all, but it has a high barrier of entry. My group never cleared that barrier. If I were to do it again, I'd introduce the system very slowly, adding more complexity with each session. And I'd have a lot more precampaign discussion about what kind of spy game you're running, since modern espionage covers a lot of ground. Also, I'd know the following: :)

First, get the errata. There have been many updates and revisions since the game came out. The errata is long but complete, and they do their best to fix whatever problems were introduced.

The Gearing Up phase of Mission Startup is the single largest problem with playing the game. The equipment and gadgets lists are immense, and you can spend one, even two sessions just having players learn the gear options. This problem is partially solved with bundles (pre-built packages of gear), but unfortunately the bundles are spread over the entire book line (instead of just one supplement), and include gear introduced in those books. If you poke around online (shh!), you can find typed up Bundle Cards (for printing, obviously), and then simply make up the gear you don't know about. I strongly suggest that you have a list of preferred equipment ready for the players for their first mission. Don't even let them near the book. This problem will likely lessen somewhat if you stick with the game long enough for the players to get a feel for most of the gear, although it never did for us.

A side effect of the lengthy Gearing Up phase is that each mission should last a few sessions away from home base, to minimize the time between Gearing Up phases. If the agents can come home and restock, you're just compounding the Gearing Up problem.

Combat is pretty fun. If you know d20, you'll do fine, as it's an improvement over base d20 combat. Avoid autofire, though, as it's weak and doesn't model what most people think it will. It's less effective than 3-round bursts.

Most of the core classes are severely misnamed and give the wrong impression of what purpose each serves in a group. Of the six core classes:
  • Soldier and Wheelman are correctly named; but know that some people feel that a Wheelman is frequently as tough as a Soldier.
  • The Pointman is actually the versatile teammate/leader, not the guy you would send to lead the way into combat. (avoid this class, it has a few pages of errata just for it; it's like a base class for advanced players)
  • The Faceman is three parts master of disguise and only one part confidence man. Some of its class abilities can break stories if you're not careful, like Cold Read.
  • The Snoop is actually the team nerd (computer/surveillance expert), not a skulking sneak or man-in-black type.
  • The Fixer is actually ten parts D&D Rogue (sneak attack, evasion, uncanny dodge), and one part black market contacts.
Be clear with your game group about these roles, and tell them to ignore the class names.

If you're familiar with D&D encounters and how to set up combat challenges for a party, then ignore the Mastermind system. It's really cumbersome and you end up basically at the same place anyway, except without hours of number crunching. Boy, did I learn this the hard way. :) And you don't even end up with statted NPCs!... you have to do that by hand anyway. Read the examples, and see what they recommend, then wing it.

Reread AscentStudios post on the subsystems. They are complex and difficult to bring across to new players. Action dice can be spent at least five different ways, so have a cheat sheet ready for new players.

Finally, dump the Disposition system and its related feats. It's really unwieldy and a time-killer to use in play. When 4 PCs meet one NPC, that's four Disposition checks. For three NPCs, it's twelve! Repeat for every NPC, every mission you meet them, as their disposition changes across missions.

Oh, and if you can find it, buy Most Wanted by Paradigm Concepts, which turned out to be the single most useful supplement for actually playing. It's just an NPC book, and so only for GMs, but it comes with great villains/henchmen and can save you a lot of time.

Good luck! :)

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Ask yourself what sort of superspies you want to play.

What do the players want to play?

My problem is that I wanted a gritty, if slightly unrealistic (read - car chases and so on) cold war era early james bond. My players wanted MTV james bond with invisible cars.

Fun was had, but just organise what campaign your players really want to play in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads