• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any Traveller RPG (Mongoose version) fans here?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We're currently playing a Traveller RPG campaign - I believe it's called Secrets of the Ancients or something similar (I'm not running it).

My character, unfortunately, is somewhat sub-optimal.

STR: 2
DEX: 2
END: 4
INT: 11
EDU: 6
SOC: 3

At one point during character generation he actually failed to remain in the drifter career. He failed to be a failure and was forced - briefly - to be an intergalactic sports star instead. Although with those scores, I'm not sure how that worked out.

He does have one decent characteristic - INT - but that one decent characteristic is still less than that of the party 'tank' (for want of a better word) who has INT 12.

The low scores have created an interesting character. He has a rank of 6 in the Deception skill (that's pretty much all he's good at), so I'm playing him as a bitter, pathological liar in a wheelchair. It's actually working out rather well, though I'm pretty much pointless in combat! At first, I was incapable of making the basic roll to hit a target (which defaults at a DC of 8 on 2d6, and with my -3 for no skill in firearms and my -2 for my low DEX, the max I could roll was 7 - so there was no chance I could ever hit even a stationary target in combat).

Since then I have a big wheelchair-mounted gun which I have to remove every time we leave the ship because it appears to be illegal to carry firearms anywhere! So I haven't actually used it yet.

Anyway, all that aside. Do we have any other Traveller fans here?

Serendipity

Explorer
I do loves me some Traveller. Last year I ran a short campaign using classic traveller - the characters were the employees / crew of a retired Darian scientist (a really really old scientist as it turns out), trucking about the Marches on his lab ship.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I bought the mongoose traveller because I really enjoyed classic traveller back in the day. I've not had a chance to play it yet, but still enjoy the chargen 'minigame' !

I think they have improved it over the original wi more details to the background and a way to link together the pasts of the PC group.

Were you tempted to call him 'Rath' as an in joke? Seriously though, it is great to hear of a character with poor die rolls still proving interesting and fun - I like the idea of making him wheelchair bound, it opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.

I remember running a classic 'Secrets of the Ancients' module way back in the 80's, I wonder if this is e same adventure... Or an updated one?

Cheers

There's a Secret of the Ancients campaign for MongT. It's probably that.

With a character like that, the Merchant career might have been a decent idea. High Int is (or at least it was in CT, I don't remember in MongT having not really looked at character generation for careers I wasn't using) a good stat for that career. Scientist, perhaps, but higher Edu was probably useful. As for his sports career, I can imagine a few games where a quick-thinking individual directing the more physical members of the team to actually perform would be possible - imagine Chess, with pieces actually fighting each other rather than automatically taking each other.

Now I'm getting nostalgic. Time to get the Sky Raiders Trilogy out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With a character like that, the Merchant career might have been a decent idea.

My career rolls were consistently as bad as my ability score roles. He failed at every single career - including, as I mentioned above, failing at being a drifter!

As for his sports career, I can imagine a few games where a quick-thinking individual directing the more physical members of the team to actually perform would be possible - imagine Chess, with pieces actually fighting each other rather than automatically taking each other.

I kinda just assumed it was the Space Paralympics.

Treebore

First Post
I looooove Traveller! Just wrapped up a several month long campaign a month or two ago.

Hurry up and get a Rank 0 in Gun Combat to get rid of that -3!

Then again, I guess that depends on how your GM handles training. I have done a lot of training, both as an instructor and a student, in the Military, College, and day to day life, so have built up a system based on that. So in my game you would be able to learn Gun Combat 0 in one or two Jumps worth of time. By the Book, assuming your using Mongoose, you would likely have to take months.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
We played a campaign last Spring that went for about four months. I had an aristocrat on the run from another aristocrat who also worked for the Imperium. I kept funneling some points into sword fighting so that eventually I could have a duel with him. Unfortunately, the GM did the same for my rival so we had to slip into his cabin at one point and weaken his dueling sabre with a laser scalpel we jacked from the infirmary. I got pretty chopped up later that day when we finally dueled before his blade snapped and I won.

Remove ads