Any word on the GSL?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This letter, with the new GSL attached, went out to publishers earlier today:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Publishing friends,

I just wanted to let you know that the revision of GSL that we announced back in August 2008 is going live today (it should go up around 4PM PST). I have posted a copy for your reference.

Also a revised SRD, logos, and updated FAQ are being posted to: http://www.wizards.com/d20

Highlights include:

[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Removal of section 6, which set terms & conditions for 4e compatible product lines that may have been previously published under the Open Game License (OGL).
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Inclusion of a provision for a “Notice of Termination”, allowing publishers to end their use of the GSL at their choosing. This includes the addition of a 6-month inventory sell off period after executing a Notice of Termination.
    [/FONT]
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Modification to imagery clause that clarifies use derivative art work.
    [/FONT]
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Additions to the SRD from Player’s Handbook® 2, Monster Manual® 2, and Adventurer’s Vault™ including:
    [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Barbarian, bard, druid, and sorcerer class options [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Alchemy, alchemical formula template, and alchemical items [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Vehicles, mounts, and the vehicle template [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Disease template [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Demons, devils, rust monster, metallic dragons, duergar, and over 50 other monsters
      [/FONT]

I hope you find the revisions to your liking and I want to thank you for your patience as we revised the GSL.

Sincerely,

[/FONT]Scott Rouse
Sr. Brand Manager - Dungeons & Dragons
Wizards of the Coast LLC

FWIW, after reading the GSL, SRD, and FAQ (any acronyms I missed), I'm sending in my Statement of Acceptance tomorrow. I am very happy with the updates (but will of course nitpick through the night to make sure, but unless there's any new hidden gotchas, it works for me).

Thank you, Scott!!

Drkfathr1

First Post
Much better. Now this is a liscense that can be used!

Whew. Hard to believe it took this long to modify that pesky section 6!

Nice to see some stuff from PH2 and MM2 added to the SRD.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Just took a quickie look at it, and please don't take this as legal advice, just observations:

They can cancel the GSL at any time.

They can change the GSL and/or SRD at any time.

Therefore, anything people didn't like from the first version that was taken out can be put back in.

Plus, if there are any legally questionable claims of right WOTC makes in the GSL (9.1), you can't fight it if you sign the GSL.

Also, it looks like they can put out stuff similar to yours and compete against you.

Not something I would feel comfortable making long-term business decisions with.

If you are a guy who wants to put out a supplement once a year or so for 4e, and make a hundred bucks here and there, no major loss.

If you're a guy basing a business and livelihood around 4e products, seems risky to me. Your livelihood is in the hands of the Hasbro corporate executive of the month in charge over there.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket if I were a 3pp. develop your business broadly, support Pathfinder, C&C, etc., in order to have options if Goober the future new VP of WOTC who never rolled dice before has a brain fart and screws over all 3pp's.

Just my gut take on it from a fast read. Again, not legal advice, so don't take it as such. Consult a lawyer who specializes in IP and/or business contracts. I do not work in those areas.

Joe

Remove ads