• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anybody actually TRY soloing the Tarasque...?

travathian

First Post
That's what people are SAYING, Paraxis... but I'm not hearing from anyone who's actually DONE IT. Talk is cheap, I want to see some actual attempts at doing the thing.... not saying it can't be done, but the proof is in the pudding.

So do it yourself? I still don't understand why people make threads like this. It is like saying "I dare you to go change the oil in my car in less than twenty minutes" just so you can get someone else to do the work for you. If you want to know so bad, then do it. If you don't believe other people's educated opinion, then do the math and prove them wrong.

As to the talk is cheap, I don't need to count every coin in my pocket to know if I have enough to get a soda. I can quickly scan it to estimate the value. This is no different. People make educated guesses all the time, you going to make a new post calling each of them out?

Also, the most dreaded monster of the Material Plane? Pffft. In my campaign, a monster with a 30 constitution is guaranteed to have regeneration. Natural regeneration of 30hp/turn. It can only be dropped below 1hp with an artifact or 9th level spell. This is in additional to the boulder throwing mentioned earlier.

E

Elderbrain

Because I am asserting that the plan WON'T WORK, that's why. They say a 5th level Wizard can solo the Tarasque, and I deny it. If I were to play it out and the Tarasque wins, the other side will just claim that (if I run the PC) I didn't try hard enough to kill it, or (if I act as DM) that I rigged things to ensure a Tarasque victory. The only way to persuade them that their strategy will not work is for THEY THEMSELVES to play it out and see that I'm right... otherwise they won't change their minds, see?

Tormyr

Hero
I think we pretty much already put this one to bed in the last couple of threads. Nobody really feels a need to prove it because they do not think it would work. We even went through some basic number crunching using averages. Only a few people felt that fighting the Tarrasque in the manner described would work because they limited the Tarrasque to what was explicitly written in the stat block.

As a friend of mine said, "Those convinced against their will remain unconvinced still." If they were to do this exercise, they might see things differently, but why would they bother putting time and effort into it.

As an aside, I completely thought from your original post that you were arguing for the solo attack working and you were trying to convince the naysayers to prove you wrong.

Heir Raktus

First Post
Wood Elf 11th level Eldritch Knight/2nd level Rogue with Sharpshooter and Mobility feats. Able to cast Magic Weapon on their bow and stay outside the monsters attack range.

The Tarrasque can't do anything against the flying wizard. On the other hand, the flying parasites which live in the Tarrasque's hide will attack instantly when their home is threatened.

DaveDash

Explorer
The Tarrasque can close 120 feet per round. It is just a matter of time.

Nope. He cant. He only gets one legendary action against one opponent. He closes 100ft per round maximum.

Wood Elf + mobility + longstrider = 110ft of movement per round and attack, or 165ft of movement dashing using Rogue cunning action.

Dausuul

Legend
A rock is an improvised weapon without the thrown property...
Why would it not have the thrown property? It is quite obviously being thrown; not using the rules for throwing objects would be silly. That makes it +10 to hit for 4d4+10. And I tend to agree with Mearls that the rock-throwing rules for giants are appropriate here.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
You could change almost every instance of Tarrasque in this thread to Batman and it would sound like a typical 'who would win, batman or superman' discussion :)

Remove ads