• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody Have this Problem With Fantasy Grounds?

Redrobes

First Post
I don't generally comment on other VTTs but what you need to do is some port forwarding.

See if you can find your router on this list and follow instructions.
http://portforward.com/routers.htm

To check you can use GRC's "shields up" (off of one of the menu tabs) which does a port scan of your connection. Get it to do the port number you forwarded (might need to do a custom scan or range - you used to have to) and see if its visible.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

You also need to make sure that the program is set up as a server in the firewall.

Also remember that the out side person needs your public IP address not the local / internal one. So a 192.168.x.x one is useless. Read port forward for more info. If it any app works when directly connected but not with the router then this is the issue.

Hope that helps.

heruca

Explorer
What Redrobes said.

Almost any virtual tabletop program will require that the GM set up port forwarding. Your firewalls and routers are designed to keep incoming connections out (to prevent being hacked, etc.), so you need to specifically open up a certain port to let the FG traffic in.

Generico

First Post
If you could provide more specifics of your problem, you'd be more likely to get a specific solution. If I were to make a guess at this problem, I'd say that you not only have a standard router, but your "modem" is also a router, which is common fair for the most popular ISPs. This could explain why bypassing your router had no effect.

What is the make and model of your modem?

Also, what IP address are you giving to the players you'd like to connect? The one Fantasy grounds shows in the start screen is wrong if you're connected through a router.

arnon

Explorer
Don't know if it'll help.

But when i tried to get my plyaers to connect first time with the IP number, they couldn't. So i had the program give me one of those random 4 words "addresses" and everyone connected easily...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads