• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody know a little Latin?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Anti-Sean said:
As others have said, 'setting' is going to be tricky - I'd recommend subbing in 'world'.
Since it isn't *this* world whose structure (or ratio) you are discussing, maybe drop in an "alteri". That would yield "De Principiis Rationis Mundorum Alterorum"

Roughly, "Concerning the principles of design of other worlds"

Anti-Sean

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Since it isn't *this* world whose structure (or ratio) you are discussing, maybe drop in an "alteri". That would yield "De Principiis Rationis Mundorum Alterorum"

Roughly, "Concerning the principles of design of other worlds"

Nice - for some reason, I was thinking that the book being titled existed in the campaign world. I'd use aliorum instead of alterorum, as alterus, -a, -um tends to signify the other of two, vs. alius, -a, -ud, 'another, other'. I'm not sure if this is a difference between Classical and Ecclesiastical Latin, though. 'Modi' might also be an alternative for 'Rationis', but I think there's enough overlap between the two words to make it a matter of what sounds best to the OP.

*edit* IIRC, the set of special -ius adjectives of aspect/number which alius & alterus are part of are sometimes placed before the nouns they modify, so we might wind up with De Principiis Rationis Aliorum Mundorum. The word order isn't exactly a hard and fast rule, though, and is often played with for poetic license, at least.

Last edited:

Torx

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
"For the Senate and People of Mand?"

Would is be "Senatus Populosque Mandus?" Mand?" Mandii?"

Also, many Latin locations (I'm thinking continents here) are feminine. That's why it's Asia, Africa, and so on (Europe is Europa). Cheiromancer sounds right to me with 'Mandis', but if it's a continent you could also call it feminine and smack an '-ae' on the ending and it'd be more Latiney.

dcas

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
My campaign features a city and empire called Mand, analogous to Rome, so how does one say

"For the Senate and People of Mand?"

Would is be "Senatus Populosque Mandus?" Mand?" Mandii?"

Declension of nouns was never my forte.
Just figure out the genitive of "Mand" and go from there. If Mand is an alien (i.e., not Latin or Latinized) word, then it should be "Mandiensis." If it's a 3rd declension noun (which I think it would be since it doesn't have an ending that would make it fall into one of the other declensions), then it would be "Mandis" as Cheiromancer writes above.

Hope this helps.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
And now I find myself thinking of the Roman soldier telling Brian how to write out "Romans Go Home" in Life of Brian.

END COMMUNICATION

Ry

Explorer
So is this right?

De Principiis Rationis Mundorum Aliorum

Concerning the principles of design of another world

Principia Rationis Mundorum Aliora

What about Logos, borrowed from greek?

Principia Logos Mundorum Aliorum?

(I'm just going from what I'm seeing)

Anti-Sean

First Post
rycanada said:
So is this right?

De Principiis Rationis Mundorum Aliorum

Concerning the principles of design of another world
The above would be 'other worlds' - mundorum and aliorum are plural, and in the genitive case. If you'd rather use 'another world', they would look like this instead:

De Principiis Rationis Alterius Mundi

(while I proposed using a form of alius instead of alterus above, in the genitive singular case, it is far, far more common to see alterius used instead of the expected alius. Hooray for irregular words!)

Principia Rationis Mundorum Aliora
If you want to drop the 'De' (concerning), Principia is the correct form to use for 'principles' (nominative plural). As suggested above, 'alterius mundi' would be correct usage.

What about Logos, borrowed from greek?

Principia Logos Mundorum Aliorum?

(I'm just going from what I'm seeing)
I'm not seeing Logos being used as a loan word in the dictionaries I have handy. I suppose that you could use 'modi' as well (from modus, -i - IIRC, that's a bit closer to 'methods' or 'means'.

I hope that helps!

Ry

Explorer
Thanks a lot! Just one more try:

Principia Rationis Alterius Mundi

The Principles of Design of another world, right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads