• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody live in Virginia?

Eltern

First Post
And can answer a phone call?

Here's the scenario: In the modern campaign that I run, I often give my players real world information and contacts. For instance, when the PCs received the Bad Guys' contact information, I gave them a real phone number. When they called this phone number (using their real life cell phone), they found themselves at the receptionist of De Beers (a diamond cartel). I like using this sort of device in a modern campaign because it makes the world seem more real. I can understand if some people find it weird, but my players and I digg it.

So, last session the PCs found a phone number in a fallen comrade's wallet. They are almost certainly going to call that number during tomorrow's game session, and I would like to have them "really" call it, as previously described. Would any ENWorlder who has a Virginia area code be interested in making a guest appearance, in the form of a 5-minute phone call? This would involve giving me a phone number where we can call you, and it has to be an area code close to Langley. Yes, my players -will- notice if the area code doesn't make sense for the geographic location of the NPC :)

If anyone is interested, drop me a line at alacast at gmail dot com. Alternatively, if anyone has a suggestion on how obtain a Virginia phone number in Indiana (where I am) by tomorrow night, let me know ;)

Thanks!
Eltern

Eltern

First Post
Huh. For some reason I thought the appropriate area code was 757. Good thing I didn't tell them the number yet.

I understand that it's crazy weird. But, I figured that if there were any chance of me finding someone who would do this, s/he'd be on ENWorld :D Of course, I forgot to mention the story of the NPC and where the number comes from. Once I explain that, I'm sure the number of bites will drop to 0.

The fallen comrade is a PC named Agent Mathew Kellner, played by a guy who left the group to study abroad. The PC is a far right wing conservative working for the CIA. He played the character really, really well, and the player was a blast to have in the group. One aspect of his character that never came to light, however, was the fact that he was gay. The player had this planned out from character creation, because he liked the notion of Kellner wrestling with his sexuality. Yet Kellner had such a gruff, caustic exterior that him having any kind of love life was beyond the PCs' conception of him, let alone one opposed to his religious views. So, none of the players ever figured this out, as it never came up.

Now Kellner is dead, but I'd like the players to still find this added dimension to the character. In his wallet they have found a phone number, which is simply the number of a man that Kellner went on a few dates with recently. If asked, the NPC will probably need to give the PCs Kellner's address, as they'll then use it as a hideout if they pass through Langley. But the main point is "Kellner was even more dynamic than he seemed."

So, yes, I'm requesting you to give me your Virginia-specific phone number, so that you can talk to my players while pretending to be the homosexual lover of a CIA agent. One of the more creepy requests I could have made, I know :D Given that the nature of the NPC plays on so many hot-button topics, I'm dubious about my chances of getting any volunteers.

Disclaimer: No part of this message is an endorsement or criticism of any religion, conservative political views, sex, any sexuality, the CIA, or Virginia.

Felix

Explorer
I'm curious; what will the phone-call answerer have to talk about?

EDIT:

Ah. That's what the phone-call answerer has to talk about.

EDIT 2:

757 is an area code for Virginia, but Northern Virginia is 703, and that includes Langley.

Last edited:

Eltern

First Post
Felix said:
Ah. That's what the phone-call answerer has to talk about.

Yup. Presumably the answerer will have to act shocked, possibly distraught (depending on how close you thought he was to Kellner), and whatever else you think is appropriate. He's not my character, so do what you want. Probably would be hesitant to talk to perfect strangers about any personal details, though, like a normal person. ;)

DaveyJones

First Post
you want a 703 area code.

and since are using the CIA as your hit... um shouldn't it be an untraceable number... so it reroutes thru another place. like Mumbai or Calcutta or Tibuktu?

ergo the area code really doesn't matter.

MarauderX

Explorer
DaveyJones said:
you want a 703 area code.

and since are using the CIA as your hit... um shouldn't it be an untraceable number... so it reroutes thru another place. like Mumbai or Calcutta or Tibuktu?

ergo the area code really doesn't matter.

No, the 'date' doesn't necessarily work for the CIA.

571 is a newer area code for VA.

Remove ads