• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody running or playing in a forgotten realms campaign set in Mulhorand/Unther?

rathor

First Post
I just kicked one off right after the fall of Unthalass to the Mulhorandi army. Would like to look into others for ideas/ names/ battles/ and stuff. I think that the war between the two nations is a great setting for forgotten realms campaings, especially low level guys wanting to kick off something to last a while.

I am doing quite a bit of village and terrain mapping. I can't find any detailed maps on the area. Best I have found are in the campaign source book and they only map three cities. anybody else know of some maps of UNTHER?

rathor

First Post
yeah

seems like Unther and Molhorand are largely left out in the gamming world except for historical reference. That is why i am enjoying running this campain. It will be a good one and by the end of the second session i will make a story hour for it if you want to read up on it.

Fenes 2

First Post
I am running a campaign in Unthalass, which has been going on for close to a year now. It is a more or less modified and customized Unther/Mulhorand though, not FR 3E canon.

IMC, Mulhorand is not a "good" country - I altered any good gods to neutral gods - and I used the 2E Warriors & Priests and Wizards & Rogues portayal for some of their customs - arcane magic is considered a heresy in Mulhorand, only allowed for members of the clergy of Toth. The whole war played out like in the FRCS, but again, Mulhorand is not that good for Unther. They have a strict theocracy, sort of a communist economy with every factor controlled by a temple or church, and the churches and temples are full of ambitious, ruthless clerics out for their god and themselves, not neccessarily in that order. If you are not a member of the clergy you are nothing (but they still think that it is better to be a slave in Mulhorand than to be free elsewhere - not that all slaves agree, of course).

Unther had been under the thumb of Gilgamesh, but with a more liberal economy. Again, things were only good if you were a member of the upper class. The remnamts of free Unther are holed up in Messemprar, and under the influence of the Red Wizards of Thay. with rebels roaming the country.

Both Unther and Mulhorand are, IMC, egypt-flavored and almost the same culture apart from the political system and the stance toward arcane magic.

The party was originally going to free Unther and put one of their own on the god-king's throne (one PC was a descendant of an Untheric god of long past), but they ended up getting seduced by the dark side, so to speak, when they began working working for the military governor in Unthalass to gather information before starting their crusade. After the player of the would-be king switched PCs the whole party seems now to be firmly in the camp of the Mulhorand forces, with one fighter starting a career as a cleric of Mulhorand and a new PC a cleric of another god of Mulhorand.

As far as information and maps are concerned, the Old Empire spourcebook provides some, but not in that much greater detail than the FRCS map, as far as I remember, but my memory may not be that reliable, since I hardly use detailed maps, I get by by using the overview maps for travel, and making up the rest.

Scott Bernie has an updated site for 3E Old Empires, but I have the adress not here right now.

I suggest using a lot of historical information about old Egypt for flavor.

I made a small private campaign sourcebooks with NPCs and places, and background, but it is in German, so I doubt you want to use it.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
hey rathor!

the 2e Old Empires supplement has a map of the region, with maps of the cities of Skuld and Luthcheq

and speaking of old editions...the 1e mods I3 Pharoah, I4 Oasis of the White Palm and I5 Lost Tomb of Martek would fit perfectly in the region if updated to 3e

jhallum

Explorer
My game is in Chessenta, but...

my game is set almost 15 years before yours, and has roots in the Old Untheric Deities. If you want to liven things up....have them return some how....

My game is set during the Time of Troubles, and I decided to take the unique rules governing the Old Empires deities during the Time of Troubles, and turn it into a campaign. In my campaign, the PCs investigated a an old tomb on behalf of a Chessentan nobleman, and woke up the remains of an undead King of Old Unther. Because of the strange nature of the Old Empires deities(he was an incarnation of Enlil, which means he had a bit of Enlil insideof him), he became a Quasi deity of Divine Rank 0. He also has very few worshippers, and he is unable to grant them spells. With the advent of the Time of Troubles, this God-King is looking for power in Chessenta, but that is difficult....what with the Avatar of Assuran girding for war...

rathor

First Post
wow

you guys have great ideas. my characters are just now getting started. they all live together in a small isolated community/fortress set in the foothills of the smoking mountians and near methwood. so far they were traveling to a nearby village to sell wood and surplus food and buy spice, ale, and farming supplies when they were almost conscripted by a Untheric teifling captian, but ensnared him and pursuaded his troop of five to abandon him. they just made it to the town to find it fortified by some of the survivors of the Unthalass militia and being attacked by a small force of mulhorandi calvary and ex untheric slaves. the game is about to get very complicated for them because they didn't kill the captian, they have to abandon their wagon and ride with the untheric milita to escape slaughter (they think mulhorand is evil because the untheric milita said so) and try to keep the clash from getting near their community, because it has survived for years because nobody knows about it.

it is a good campaign so far, just takes a lot of work. :)

and i would very much like your book. world.altavista.com can translate it into readable english and i am sure it would help. thanks

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads