• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anymore "Return to . . ." adventures coming out from WotC?

deadboydex

Explorer
the Jester said:
I thirst for a 'Return to the Barrier Peaks' like no other module. The very thought brings the saliva out in huge quantities in my mouth. Robots, radiation and intellect devourers, oh my!

Nothing to add other than "me too".

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I hope no one thinks it's too self-serving for me to suggest "Maure Castle," a 97-page adventure that took up the entirety of Dungeon #112, our 30th Anniversary celebration issue.

"Maure Castle" is a "return to" WG5, "Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure," which was written by Robert J. Kuntz and Gary Gygax way back in 1984 (but appears to have been around since a 1974 Kuntz-DMed playtest, making it 30 years old this year, just like the game itself).

We got Gygax and Kuntz to help us update the adventure, with expanded material by the Dungeon staff. The whole thing was a labor of love, and (in my opinion) was very respectful to the original adventure.

Fans of the "first edition style" of adventures, or of those adventures themselves, will probably enjoy it.

We STRONGLY considered doing a "Return to" the Barrier Peaks, or even just a 3.5 update with expanded material, but ultimately decided that such a project would take up about two regular-sized Dungeon issues, which was simply a gamble we couldn't take.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon

the Jester

Legend
Erik Mona said:
We STRONGLY considered doing a "Return to" the Barrier Peaks, or even just a 3.5 update with expanded material, but ultimately decided that such a project would take up about two regular-sized Dungeon issues, which was simply a gamble we couldn't take.

Any chance of Wizards doing one, do you think?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
dead said:
Anymore "Return to . . ." adventures coming out from WotC?

I believe they were briefly considering "The Well of Wolfean Nostalgia" but thought better of it...

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
johnsemlak said:
I'm surprised no-one has suggested a 'Return to' the Vault of the Drow.

That's because there already was one, though it wasn't billed as such. Monte Cook's 2E Planescape adventure Dead Gods has a substantial part of it take place in the Vault of the Drow, during a civil war between Lolth-worshippers and Kiaransalee-worshippers.

diaglo

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
That's because there already was one, though it wasn't billed as such. Monte Cook's 2E Planescape adventure Dead Gods has a substantial part of it take place in the Vault of the Drow, during a civil war between Lolth-worshippers and Kiaransalee-worshippers.

which in essence is what WotC did with City of the Spider Queen too.

Remove ads