Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

Option

First Post
Damn, that is some really cool world-building. I like that many real-life cultures are used to describe the world powers. Its a great way to get a quick feel for who is who without having to read pages of descriptions for each.

Robyo

Explorer
I've found the Master's Guide very helpful to my campaigns. Lots of tools and bits to insert as needed. Especially enjoying the Create Your Own section. I think D&D has long-needed a reliable point-based creation system. Using the rules, I've made centaur, veggie pygmy, and hegeyokai (oriental-style shapeshifters) player races. Yet, when I analyze and compare the races given in the Player's Guide, I am bewildered. Is the 5 pts baseline a hard-rule or more of an estimation? How do Kobolds end up with only 3 wound points? Or Goliaths with 12?

The bulk of the tome is the Creatures section and it's excellent. Lots of useful and traditional beasties alongside more steampunky ones. The templates are really helpful (and creative) too. I only wish creature abilities were listed by tier/cost. It makes it a bit harder to build original monsters or augment what's listed. I can usually figure it out, but it takes time. Also would like to see more mundane animals listed.

The Places section is awesome too. Enjoy the creative locations and the style of maps.

Looking forward to the mind-expansion kit whenever it comes...

AncientSpirits

First Post
I've found the Master's Guide very helpful to my campaigns. Lots of tools and bits to insert as needed. Especially enjoying the Create Your Own section. I think D&D has long-needed a reliable point-based creation system. Using the rules, I've made centaur, veggie pygmy, and hegeyokai (oriental-style shapeshifters) player races. Yet, when I analyze and compare the races given in the Player's Guide, I am bewildered. Is the 5 pts baseline a hard-rule or more of an estimation? How do Kobolds end up with only 3 wound points? Or Goliaths with 12?

The bulk of the tome is the Creatures section and it's excellent. Lots of useful and traditional beasties alongside more steampunky ones. The templates are really helpful (and creative) too. I only wish creature abilities were listed by tier/cost. It makes it a bit harder to build original monsters or augment what's listed. I can usually figure it out, but it takes time. Also would like to see more mundane animals listed.

The Places section is awesome too. Enjoy the creative locations and the style of maps.

Looking forward to the mind-expansion kit whenever it comes...

Robyo, thank you for this quick review of the Radiance Masters Guide.

To answer your questions:

1) I did my best to design each race with 5 points. The kobold suffers on wound points, for example, because it has an awesome retreat ability. Here's a breakdown (off the cuff):
-2 Strength = -1
+4 Dexterity = +2
Small Size = -1
Speed 30 ft = +2 (small gets auto 20 ft speed)
3 wound points = -2
Claws and Teeth = +1
Cold weakness = -1
Darkvision = +1
Kobold skills = +2
Light blindness = -1
Swift Retreat = +2
Scaly Hide = +1

2) I considered how to list abilities by tier or cost. But it began to get cumbersome quickly and take up valuable page real estate. Ultimately, making new monsters is perhaps the most time consuming aspect of the game. Thus, the desperate need for lots of monsters.

3) I should've made more mundane animals, it's true.

4) I loved doing all the places. Did that chapter entirely myself :).

Cheers!

Robyo

Explorer
Thank you Dario, for the kobold race breakdown. It is helpful to see listed the numbers/costs...

I was wondering if you had done the maps yourself. What software do you use?

AncientSpirits

First Post
I was wondering if you had done the maps yourself. What software do you use?

I did the maps myself. I use Photoshop. Here's my process:

1) Place grid as lowest layer
2) Trace outline of walls, etc. using line tool of 6-point width or whatever.
3) Marge wall layers and apply filter(drop shadow, beveling, gradient, pattern, stroke)
4) Add dungeon dressings from a pallet of items
5) Maybe add rocks or woods layer, and cut out unneeded portions of layer as well as unneeded portions the underlying grid
6) Add text

AncientSpirits

First Post

Remove ads