• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone else feel like the distinction between conjuration and evocation is really muddy?

Wepwawet

Explorer
Not to me. Thunder is just sound. Without air you do not have sound or thunder.
Yes you do, sound is the vibration of matter. It can travel though solids better than through air (but not as far). For example, if you put your ear against a table and tap lightly anywhere on the table, what you hear is quite loud.

Fralex

Explorer
Yeah, that too! Also, I'm pretty sure there's some new-age-y thing about harnessing the vibrations of crystals for energy or whatever. Pseudoscience is even on my side! Yes, I'm aware this reasoning makes little sense.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Yes you do, sound is the vibration of matter. It can travel though solids better than through air (but not as far). For example, if you put your ear against a table and tap lightly anywhere on the table, what you hear is quite loud.

Do I hear the air that is between my ear drum and the table vibrate?

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Well, you have four elements, you have powers that draw energy from them, you want every power to have a unique way of damaging targets, I can sort of see the thought process. And I can see how corrosive chemicals can be tied to the least-energetic element, earth. But, I mean, oxidation requires air, too, doesn't it? And water is sometimes acidic. And acid burns like fire. You could make an argument for any of the four elements to be tied to acid damage. Thunder is vibration. It damages you by bludgeoning you with pressurized shockwaves. It feels like the most "solid" energy type, if that makes sense?

Acid I'd put in the same category as poison. Maybe make some creatures' venom acidic to make up for the huge amount of things that resist poison damage.

EDIT: Also, rock music is loud. Sonic damage!

Vitriol damage!

Ultimately it becomes arbitrary. I guess an essay of the physics of D&D, energy vs matter, could be written. It that case this chart becomes important.

nerd-venn-diagram-20110626-192132.jpg

Wepwawet

Explorer
Do I hear the air that is between my ear drum and the talbe vibrate?

I'd say that the vibration reaches your ear drum directly though the physical contact with the table, I don't think the air is necessary...

What I do know is that a Thunderwave cast on the other end of the table would completely blow your head up :)

Kramodlog

I'd say that the vibration reaches your ear drum directly though the physical contact with the table, I don't think the air is necessary...

What I do know is that a Thunderwave cast on the other end of the table would completely blow your head up :)

Absolute zero is no vibration from molecules, if I remember physics class correctly. So a silence spell would be an absolute zero spell?

Fralex

Explorer
Absolute zero is no vibration from molecules, if I remember physics class correctly. So a silence spell would be an absolute zero spell?

What we should really be worried about is the enlarge/reduce spell. That changes your weight along with your volume, so you're actually losing matter when you shrink. The first time my wizard used it on himself and returned to normal, he started nervously asking people if he looked more... low-resolution... than before.

Kramodlog

What we should really be worried about is the enlarge/reduce spell. That changes your weight along with your volume, so you're actually losing matter when you shrink. The first time my wizard used it on himself and returned to normal, he started nervously asking people if he looked more... low-resolution... than before.

The first thing I would check would be in my pants.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads