• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else having windows update problems

Abraxas

Explorer
OK, I'm just about ready to throw my friggin PC through the wall :mad:

Everything has been running fine and now all of a sudden I can't update.

I go to the update page and it hangs up on the "Checking for the latest version of Windows Update software" page - with a little "Error on page" icon in the lower left corner. So I click on it and check out the details and I get the following

Line: 37
Char: 2
Error: Permission Denied
Code: 0
URL: blah blah blah

If I click refresh, sometimes it sort of proceeds to the screen where you can choose Express Install or Custom Install. If I move the cursor over these options I see

javascript: parent.fnExpressScan(): or javascript: parent.fnScan() depending on which link I'm over but nothing happens if I select either.

I've searched around for a fix, but Nothing I have found and tried seems to make any difference

Anyone else run into this?

Nope, never had that. You are using IE to download the updates, right? Microsoft doesn't like other browsers to access the downloads page, so if you ae using Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, etc. that could be the problem.

Abraxas

Explorer
Thanks for the link NeghVar.

The fix on that page didn't work, but there was some info about logging on as another user.

I tried that and I can update fine with my alternate user, but not the one I use normally - so its a profile problem - which no one seems to know how to fix.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH (or whatever screaming text you can think of)

I've really started to hate windows.

If anyone knows how to solve the profile prob, let me know.

Thanks Folks

NeghVar

First Post
Did you set the new account up as an Administrator?

If so - copy all of your favorites, desktop, documents, etc. out of the old profile, into a folder on the C: drive accessable by all profiles.

At this point you can either copy these into the new profile areas and use it, or you can get adventerous and delete the old profile, recreate it, and copy the files back into their proper locations.

Email me off-list if you need more help.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Abraxas said:
I've really started to hate windows. If anyone knows how to solve the profile prob, let me know.

Ever considered:

pantherbox_20040701.jpg

Mac OS X

Abraxas

Explorer
No, not really. Up until this little update problem I've really never had a problem with windows that I couldn't solve easily.

And price is a big incentive to stay with my PCs.

Last edited:

Remove ads