• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone else just want a straight up Monster Manual II?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
No, I have a shelf full of great beastiaries. The 5e MM, Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex, the PDF versions of Frog God Games Tome of Horrors. But I would love another Volos Guide or Mordenkainen's style book. I love having a detailed lore, sample lairs, and variants to allow for more diverse population sets. I also like how I can read Volo's or Mordenkainen's as a book as well as a game aid.

If WotC published a MM II, I'd probably buy it, but it would be a little disappointing. I'd find yet another book of full of one-page monster write-ups to be less useful and much less interesting than Volo's and Mordenkainen's.

Jediking

Explorer
I just bought these "Expanded Monster Manual"s based on a previous thread recently posted on ENWorld
Receive them less than 2 weeks ago, so haven't gone through the second one yet (with Volo's, MToF)

I am a big fan of what I've read so far - I highly suggest them. Well done and gives a tonne more options

Worrgrendel

Explorer
I just bought these "Expanded Monster Manual"s based on a previous thread recently posted on ENWorld
Receive them less than 2 weeks ago, so haven't gone through the second one yet (with Volo's, MToF)

I am a big fan of what I've read so far - I highly suggest them. Well done and gives a tonne more options
I've seen mention of those before and they really piqued my interest back then. These may have to go onto the list...

jgsugden

Legend
If we obtained one now, it would likely be half repeats from adventures, etc... I'd rather get Psionics, Dark Sun, fill the remaining gaps in character types, etc....

see

Pedantic Grognard
Lots of options on DM's Guild (and a few really excellent ones), sure...but my group does not allow technology at our table (beyond the mechanical pencil or two), so those aren't particularly useful.
One problem may be that you're looking at DMs Guild, and not the broader 5e-compatible OGLverse?

In print, there's been Fifth Edition Foes, the Tome of Horrors 5e, the Tome of Beasts, the Creature Codex, and later this year there'll be the Tome of Horrors 2020 and Creature Collection 5e . . .

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yeah it's a no from me. I love statblocks, but I would also want some PC options as well. The Volo's/Mordenkainen's model is a good one to me.

werecorpse

Adventurer
A hard yes. I’ve got PDFs of monster manual expanded 1 & 2. They are great. They tend to expand on the monsters already provided leaving plenty of room for more straight up monster manuals with new (or adapted from previous editions) monsters.

I vastly prefer the 1e - 4e way of delivering monsters via a straight MM rather than the 5e Volos and Mordenkainens half MM half fluff book.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
One problem may be that you're looking at DMs Guild, and not the broader 5e-compatible OGLverse?

In print, there's been Fifth Edition Foes, the Tome of Horrors 5e, the Tome of Beasts, the Creature Codex, and later this year there'll be the Tome of Horrors 2020 and Creature Collection 5e . . .

Very well could be, as I burned out on 3PP content during the 3.x/PF era and generally pay little attention to it now. Not entirely, since I even mention Monster Manual Expanded I & II in my original post, but I've found 3PP content to be far too much of a wild card in terms of quality and power level (far more than actual WotC material anyway). That's only my perception of course, not fact, nor something I seek agreement on or a desire to have my mind changed.

A Monster Manual 2 as was traditionally done is wishful thinking at this point as I see it...but nonetheless I'll put my desire for one out there.

Remove ads