• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else moving away from D20?

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Hand of Evil said:

Mana System - (ability bonus X 2) X Caster Level = mana pool. Spell cost = Spell Level X 4

Wouldn't it be easier to drop the *2 and turn the *4 into a *2? :)

Firearms - misfires on 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, & 13

A gun misfires approx 30% of the time? Does anyone use one? Did you increase the damage or something? (Why not just do a 1-6? :) )

Wow.

*shrug* To each their own.

FD

Samurai

Adventurer
My own mana system is a base of the Attribute bonus and Caster's level gained at each level. Spells cost their level (x1) to cast. So the 9th lvl mage would have (2(from Attribute)+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9=) 47 Mana, and the 5th level spell costs 5 mana to cast! Secondary Casters like Bards, Rangers, Paladins, etc get only Attribute bonus base + 1/2 their caster level each lvl in Mana. So a 9th level Bard with 15 Cha gets (2(Att.)+1+1+2+2+3+3+4+4+5=) 27 Mana. Paladins and Rangers start gaining mana at the 4th level level, when they can start casting spells.

I find the system works very well and actually comes quite close to the number of spell levels the characters should normally be able to cast according to the rules...

Yes, I am very much disenchanted with the d20 system. I am begining to hate class/level stuff, the extreme importance of the die roll during early levels and the almost irrelevent die roll at high level. d20 really shines during mid-level play (4-9 lvl). Skills matter as magic and magic items haven't overwhelmed them. Combat can be tough, but you can expect to survive many encounters without serious resting. Magic hasn't had time to get out of hand (teleport is one of the worst spells ever for party balance and adventuring).

7th Sea looks like the answer for any game I do decide to run. I really like the way combat is handled very cinamatic, heroes wade through brutes while henchmen and villians provide for tough fights), point based characters instead of level base (which allows you to really reward good role-playing with XP and still have the characters on similar footing), and a truely uniqe magic system. The on sticky point of 7th Sea is the world, the world is very much intwined with the system. Another slight complaint are traits giving more power then ranks in a skill, but this can easily be flipped to allow skill ranks to be kept and trait ranks to provide unkept dice.

After playing 2 years of d20, I have decided that it is no where near the end all be all system (which really worries me because many companies are switching to it).

DynaMup

First Post
I like the versatility of the d20 system, and still find it great for introducing new people to the hobby. Having said that, I understand it has its limits, and so long as people don't just think that "if it isn't d20, it's no good" I think it will sit in harmony with most other games.

I enjoy it, and I hope to see it developed lots more over the years.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Personally, I love D20. My group uses nothing but the near-perfection of the d20 system. Mostly we play D&D, but occassionally we play some Spycraft games for variety.

adndgamer

First Post
Moving away. I keep buying stuff for it (predominately to get ideas and support small companies like 3rd party publishers and my gaming store), but I'm definitely wanting to leave d20 by the wayside. It just doesn't fit my style of gaming.

After I read through and buy more HackMaster (currently only have PHB), I think I'd like to run that, as it's basically old school D&D.

Either that, or Basic D&D.

BESM is fun to play, but I have no interest in GMing for it.

Ace

Adventurer
Conservative Cow said:

Mr. Dyal,

I don't know who you think you are, but this hate must stop. This is my final warning to you. One more Racist remark against cows or bovines, and I will file a legal action case.

Quiet You

No one likes a talking steak

Ace

Adventurer
My group jumped into L5r (2e rules) and now plays that every other week.

Alternating 3e D&D and L5r seems to work well for them.

I am back in the D&D game playing a Sorcerer, its a little dull but I have hopes it will get better

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads