• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else notice the weirdness about Defenses?

Gloombunny

First Post
keterys said:
That is actually how I intend to run my pre-4E rulebook games, but it's still odd :)

And, really, your gladiator could have +X clothing, but he really should be completely bare chested for the effect ;)
+3 loincloth for the win!

Spatula

Explorer
SadisticFishing said:
Alright, let's compare.

Fortitute save: 1/2 level + con/str, +2 if fighter or +1 if paladin (probably).
Reflex save: 1/2 level + int/dex + shield, +2 if rogue or +1 if ranger (probably).
Will save: 1/2 level + cha/wis, +2 if wizard/warlock, +1 if paladin (probably).
AC: 1/2 level + dex + armor + shield

Your AC will be far higher than the other two. Especially since a +1 shield and +1 armor is equal to +2, and a +1 Will/Reflex/Fortitude item is only +1.. The disparity will only grow.

This means that anything that hits against AC is going to be grossly underpowered!

Have they said any way to counteract this yet?
There's nothing to counteract. Attacking Fort/Ref/Will defenses is akin to making a touch attack in 3e.

keterys

First Post
Gloombunny said:
+3 loincloth for the win!

Oh. Duh.

I'm embarrassed I didn't see that. Maybe my mind just didn't want to accept that concept ;)

Anyhow, until -proven- otherwise I'm going to assume that the statement about shields not adding more to AC still holds and there is no stacking. When given one option that makes sense and one that doesn't, and no proof to support either position over the other, go with the one that makes more sense, eh? ;)

Andur

First Post
Steely Dan said:
Haven't we seen a recent magical shield that enhances all 3 defences and AC?

I know I have seen it.

Hey how you twink your character out has nothing to do with this discussion. ;)

Overall, it seems like attacks vs. AC have a higher "To Hit" bonus than attacks targetting the other defenses. Not sure I like that since it makes having a low AC character even more dangerous...

keterys

First Post
The difference between a high AC character and a low AC character should be on the order of like 6 points. That's a bunch, but it's nowhere near the 20 AC gap I'm used to seeing in 3.x

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Given the importance the developers have placed on "getting the math right", I'm pretty sure they've got the various attacks and defenses balanced all right. Oh, undoubtedly there will be little corner cases and hidden problems, but not the basic stuff like how fast defenses increase.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, I think this is Working As Intended.

Also, keen idea on the light armor being the only one adding your dodging bonus. So much more elegant than Max Dex.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads