• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else think 4th Ed is to combat WoW?

Wik

First Post
Nope.

And I don't think it's a cash grab, either.

I mean, when wotc caught D&D, they had to put out a new edition, to actually start fresh with the franchise, and kill off the TSR taint, as it were.

It's been a good while now, and I think they've learned a lot. They've tested out some great ideas lately, and now, they're going to put out a 4th edition. Learning from their mistakes, and all that.

As for battling WoW, nah. That's what viruses are for.

ReeboKesh

First Post
I think it is. I think Wizards saw World or Warcraft quickly rising in popularity and D&D players moving away in droves so they decided this new edition would reflect elements that WoW has already e.g. more abilities per level, 'focused roles' for classes... heck even an online character generator that creates a portrait of you character!
What do you guys think?
Reebo

Ry

Explorer
I do think 4E is created in an environment that recognizes that there's a lot of things competing for our attention now, and that we have a lot of alternatives. But that's only one good reason among many to make the game faster, more accessible, and generally more fun.

Wik

First Post
I think a big reason people make the Wow - D&D comparison is because of D&D's recent (as in, the last four years or so) desire to move the game away from "twenty minutes of fun in four hours" by generally lowering the recharge time of powers.

And I'm all for that - provided it doesn't go overboard. But wotc has the best design team out there; I'm almost 100% positive they'll do a good job with it.

Delta

First Post
Yes, absolutely.

Ryan Dancey's extensive blogs on the subject the same week as the announcement are more than just coincidence. Every big game company is watching Blizzard enviously these days and thinking the same thing.

I think 3e was rushed, in order to save the franchise. 3.5 didn't fix everything. I hope 4e finally fixes things.

I don't think MMOs can replace DnD. There's just less interaction with other gamers.

Branduil

Hero
Well, D&D will always have the advantage over video games in that no game can touch the flexibility or on-the-fly creativity of a good DM.

As far as appealing to WoW players, I'm sure they're aware of its popularity, and that a big part of its popularity is its accessibility. I don't think making D&D more accessible is a bad thing in any case. Especially if it helps us get rid of Vancian spellcasting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads