• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Anyone Else Tired of the Wizards Bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you get terrorized by someone telling you that you possibly are in legal trouble (and what the maximum sentence for that could be) over not returning the cards you should not have in the first place but refuse to give back, then that is on you.

First of all, you could have returned them when they contacted you, did you expect them to just go away after you tell them ‘no’?

Second, I would not have been terrorized, and neither was the guy from what I have heard of him. They had a not so friendly chat, nothing I would not shrug off. The guy never believed that legal ‘threat’ and I agree that was a stretch, so what.

If you cannot have a ‘talking to’, don’t try to play hardball.

In the end all that happened is that he returned the cards and got the ones he had actually ordered. He could have had that outcome more easily too, I am sure WotC would have preferred that.
Sorry, none of that justifies sending armed men to intimidate someone! We have laws for a reason!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Did he have possession of a product that he knew had not been released yet? Yes.

Did he know that WotC has a corporate interest in keeping their products as secretive as possible or at least controlling that information? Yes.
Neither of these are his problem.
Does WotC have a legal right to control their products and pursue remedies through legal civil procedures? Yes.
THEY. SOLD. THE. PRODUCT.

The fact that they sold the wrong item is not on anyone but them.
If I bought a case of coke and coke-cola sent me the secret formula to their product, I didn't 'steal' it from them and yet it seems pretty obvious that if I posted it online or shared it, I would probably be doing something they could legally object to.
If I posted the secret formula to Coca-Cola, I would be creating a situation where Coca-Cola would suffer predictable financial harms and they would be able to sue me and win in a slam-dunk case.

Nothing this guy has done can be proven to have caused WotC harm.

The only ones in this case who are hurting WotC's bottom line is, once again, them.

Hey guys, question:

How many times are you allowed to screw up at work before you let your job send armed men to politely invade your home and terrorize you and your family? Personally, my job has yet to do it, but since its now an acceptable thing to do here in the good ol' US, we should all expect it at some point.

Can't wait for the Pinkertons to roll up on me for returning from lunch 2 minutes late! Better eat fast or else Big Brother will get mad!

EDIT: Mods, pls don't send the Pinkertons after me for this post.

Raiztt

Adventurer
If I posted the secret formula to Coca-Cola, I would be creating a situation where Coca-Cola would suffer predictable financial harms and they would be able to sue me and win in a slam-dunk case.

Nothing this guy has done can be proven to have caused WotC harm.
That would be for a court of law to decide if WotC decided to pursue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads