Anyone else tried this - PvP Arena!

Boss

First Post
So, last night my group tried something a little different that we are going to make a regular thing. Let me explain.

We have a group of seven players that get together every Wednesday night to play DnD. One week I run my campaign and the next week another player runs his. Well, the other player is getting married in a month and he will be unable to run for some time. He can play, he just doesn't have the time to run a game.

So, we needed something to fill the time and someone suggested we play against each other to see who could build the best power character. I am not normally a power gamer, but this sounded like fun, so off we went.

The rules were simple... one player is selected each alternating week to act as the GM and general rules lawyer. He sets the arena up, adding little twists to things. The remaining six players are divided each game up randomly by die roll into two teams. The GM sets up character build options (level, books available, etc.) and we have two weeks to develop a character for the fight. Oh yes, the GM uses a stopwatch and gives each player 30 seconds to decide on a course of action before moving on to the next player. The player can take as long as necessary to perform their action and get the results (the other players watch to make sure things are done correctly) but you only get 30 seconds to decide what you want to do.

Last night we were in a maze, the characters were 12th level with all 3.5 WoTC books available as sources. I built a Warlock 9 / Hellfire Warlock 3 and between a huge Use Magic Device skill and Hellfire Blasts doing huge amounts of damage, my side was able to win out. The battle took an hour altogether after we spent several rounds looking for one another in the maze (each character started in a seperate location, but knew exactly where the other members of their team were... 1st round we all teleported to the fighter of our team so we wouldn't be caught alone, the opposing team did the same). We had a great deal of fun and quickly began discussing what went right or wrong with our builds.

Now, the new teams have been selected and we are only awaiting the GM's call on what the options are this time around. I can not wait to go again...

Ilium

First Post
That would be fun. Basically D&D minis, but with the full rule set (that is, you're not attached to the characters, there's no story, just the combat).

You could "Cheat" by asking EN World for optimization help. :)

Erywin

First Post
I was thinking of doing this exact same thing, except that there would only be two of us during the day. Set out guidelines and make the characters, best build wins :)

Cheers,
E

Boss

First Post
Ilium said:
That would be fun. Basically D&D minis, but with the full rule set (that is, you're not attached to the characters, there's no story, just the combat).

You could "Cheat" by asking EN World for optimization help. :)

Heh, I may be doing that though I am not sure if any of the other players browse these forums like I do. We are currently waiting on the current GM to give us the next games guidelines.

Boss

First Post
Erywin said:
I was thinking of doing this exact same thing, except that there would only be two of us during the day. Set out guidelines and make the characters, best build wins :)

Cheers,
E

Heh best of luck on it Erywin. I know we had fun with it last night. I was told earlier today that when it is a certain players turn to GM he is going to do one-on-ones as a round robin tournament.

I have been thinking about how I would set up an Arena (maybe free-for-all, with a few low-CR creatures for fodder and distraction) but since I run a game on alternate weeks, I don't get/have to run the arena nights.

Something I have been messing around with at home and as a PbP is DRAGONS HOARD: THE ARCANE GAME.

Basically X-Crawl but stronger on the DnD Fantasy side. Pocket outside of the planes were everyone hires/ supplies teams of characters whom then do a capture the flag in an artificial dungeon environment.

The PbP (links below) has the setting of an abondoned city destroyed by a major earthquake. There are several flags here and the winner is the one that has three flags and finds a ref first. Those are for the most part the only rules.

Four teams of five. In the case of the PbP there is Meepo with Kobolds, a team of warforged and a team of 1/2 dragons then the PCs.

The city ruins are stocked with creatures and traps of all sorts from all times and planes. The PCs have fought Tembos, Megaraptors, undead and now a Displacer Beast whom is tired of being "the entertainment".

Starting this Sunday I will be trying it with my group whom want a time out from the Eberron campaign we have been running for 2 1/2 years now.

Remove ads