• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone excited about A Game Of Thrones RPG?

Maester Luwin

First Post
I was wondering what sort of campaign ideas others were thinking of running? Something similiar to the books or from a different timeline altogether? Thanks Maester Luwin

Felon

First Post
At the urging of my friends', I took a shot at reading the first book and found it to be extremely long and rather boring filled with characters I didn't a give a rat's fart about. I recall reading the one chapter that culminated with a character getting molten gold on his head and thinking "about friggin' time", then noticing I had another four or five-hundred pages to go.

Now, what does an RPG in this setting really offer? The book I read wasn't filled with action-packed feats of derring-do. It was mostly about members of royalty posturing and scheming for 1000 pages, and then a great many get popped-off ignominiously. What exactly do you play in thsi game? One of the nobility sitting around issuing orders, or one of the grunts doing the actual dirty work?

takyris

First Post
Felon,

To be fair, if you are interested in political scheming and not necessarily lots of blood spraying across the walls, this might be a good game.

(Might. I don't know myself.)

I'm still waiting for the game that offers alternate rules for using Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, and Gather Information along with social-standing hit points to simulate the thrust and parry of a politically charged banquet. I don't think that this will be that game, but it might have some nice ideas in that vein.

I doubt it will have much new in the way of combat, although it would be nice to see how it covered maiming. :)

Maester Luwin

First Post
Felon- to each his own. All the scheming was exactly why I loved it! I thought these books were some of fantasy's best. However, not everyone feels this way I know.

Takyris you should check out GOO website as they have discussed some of what your looking for on their boards. Thanks Maester Luwin

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
Felon said:
At the urging of my friends', I took a shot at reading the first book and found it to be extremely long and rather boring filled with characters I didn't a give a rat's fart about. I recall reading the one chapter that culminated with a character getting molten gold on his head and thinking "about friggin' time", then noticing I had another four or five-hundred pages to go.

Now, what does an RPG in this setting really offer? The book I read wasn't filled with action-packed feats of derring-do. It was mostly about members of royalty posturing and scheming for 1000 pages, and then a great many get popped-off ignominiously. What exactly do you play in thsi game? One of the nobility sitting around issuing orders, or one of the grunts doing the actual dirty work?
I'm guessing this setting wouldn't be for you. Some folks love to role play political intrigue, and do the dirty work that helps those plans come to fruition or thwart other's plans from coming to fruition.

Other people want physical action constantly with political intrigue and mental gamesmanship kept to minimum. One style isn't better than another, and those that don't like to roleplay in settings where political gamesmanship take a big role might not like this setting. Even if they just play a grunt ordered to carry out missions or paid to perform whatever action packed tasks, they could get that in any setting, and won't really enjoy what promises to set this one apart.

It's just a matter of preference. It's good that you discovered you don't like the setting, so you want plop down the money for a setting that isn't your style.

Sunchaser

First Post
I am very excited about this game. I wonder if they are making combat more deadly, with hands getting chopped off and things like that. My main gripe about d20 is the hitpoint story, and battles that go on for hours with characters getting hit by 3 crossbow bolts, slashed apart with an axe, burnt by fire and ice (heheh.. gettit?) and still running around in perfect health.

Felon said:
What exactly do you play in thsi game? One of the nobility sitting around issuing orders, or one of the grunts doing the actual dirty work?

You play both. The nobility do a lot of the dirty work in that world, and the grunts do a lot of intriguing.

Didn't you just complain about every class kicking ass in another thread? Not counter complaining just curious.

Looking over that thread, though, I have no idea if Game of Thrones will appeal to you or not.

Last edited:

Captain Tagon

First Post
My one big problem in the books isn't the scheming or the lack of action. I like that part and I did get deeply attatched to a lot of the characters. What I don't like is the seeming concept in the entire series that it is entirely impossible for good to really win out. Or that there even is any true good in the world. I enjoy reading fiction as something of an escape from reality, not to get more depressed as the only good characters end up dead.

Felon

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Didn't you just complain about every class kicking ass in another thread? Not counter complaining just curious.

In the Iron Lore thread, I was more concerned with players being rewarded for rash tactics, with stealth and guile being rendered irrelevant. It was other folks who misrepresented me as a fan of political intrigue.

But having said that, I do like intrigue and mystery. But IMO the tension those elements generate has got to culminate into something a little more often than once every 300 pages. After that kid finds those wolf cubs, the story starts to hit a long slow patch and you really have to get invested in the characters to keep turning pages. My problem is that it definitely seemed like in order to become invested in the characters, you have to buy into that sort of Kennedy mentality that characters who are royalty are innately interesting. I'm a much bigger fan of low-born self-made heroes.

But I wasn't really just picking on the book. I'm seriously wondering what you play in this campaign. Is there a great deal of expansion on how to employ social skills? Are there numerous noncombatant classes? That sort of thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads