• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone familiar with Keyed Spell Items?

Ambrus

Explorer
I was looking around for useful new magic items for my sorcerer character and stumbled across Keyed Spell Items from Monte Cook's Book of Hallowed Might II: Portents and Visions. He even wrote about their conception in his design diary if anyone is interested.

These would seem to be a godsend for any spontaneous caster. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used them in-game and am curious to hear their feedback about them. Are they balanced?

I also have a question about their use: if, say, a sorcerer succeeded on a DC 20 Use Magic Device check to emulate a druid's spell list might it be possible to use a keyed spell item containing a druid's spell using the sorcerer's spontaneous spell slots?

jefgorbach

First Post
Havent had them come up yet, but sounds balanced at first glance since your essentially allowing on-the-run memorization of a equal spell-level as needed.

Your Sor/etc using UMD(druid keyed item) seems reasonable since Monte specifically created Universal Keyed Items allowing any caster to active the contained spell regardless of class.

agrelic

First Post
Sounds like a limited version of the Runestaffs from Magic Item Compendium. I'd suggest checking those out and seeing which you like more. I know with my DM that its easier to get something from a WotC publication through than a 3rd party source.

Ambrus

Explorer
Your Sor/etc using UMD(druid keyed item) seems reasonable since Monte specifically created Universal Keyed Items allowing any caster to active the contained spell regardless of class.
Good insight.

Sounds like a limited version of the Runestaffs from Magic Item Compendium. I'd suggest checking those out and seeing which you like more. I know with my DM that its easier to get something from a WotC publication through than a 3rd party source.
Perhaps I've missed your meaning, but it seems to me that Runestaves are the more limited version since they can only be used a limited number of times per day. As for 3rd party sources, I tend to trust Malhavoc Press' material more than some of WotC's stuff since Monte in part created 3e and has a more direct hand in what his company produces. But that's just me. YMMV.

agrelic

First Post
Perhaps I've missed your meaning, but it seems to me that Runestaves are the more limited version since they can only be used a limited number of times per day.

Good point. You know, I've looked at runestaves several times and never noticed that limitation before. That's what I get for recommending an item I've never actually used in a game :)

Perhaps I've missed your meaning, but it seems to me that Runestaves are the more limited version since they can only be used a limited number of times per day.

Generally speaking, any given spell in a runestaff can be used 3x per day - so a runestaff with 3 spells in it can normally be used 9 times.

While this is a limited number of times per day, I have never found the limitation particularly a pain; if it's a spell I need more than 3x per day, I usually end up memorizing it.

Of course, I am coming from the "prepared caster" direction, rather than the "sorcerer" direction.

Remove ads