• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone from Ottawa or Quebec?

Voda Vosa

First Post
I need some help!

Well, I'm from Argentina, and I won a scholarship in Canada, for 5 months, staring on February of 2011. Lowest temperatures registered in my area are -5 °C, and the highest around 40°C. I know that in Ottawa temperatures drop way beyond that, specially during winter.

My questions are:
-How cold does it get?
-How much money does a snow jacket costs? and a pair of impermeable pants? some snow footwear? Do I need those in Ottawa?
-Which is the average living cost there for one person renting a furnished apartment?
-Any useful advices you could give me?

Thanks in advance, please excuse my poor English!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I've been living in Montreal for the past 4 years. It's probably a little warmer in Ottawa, but I can give you some idea about these things.

How cold? Low temperatures sometimes get down to -30C in the early mornings, but not all that often. Most of the time in the winter, the high temperature is around -5C, though there are usually periods of about a week with high temperatures of -15C. One week in 2009 didn't get above -22C all week (that was pretty cold!).

I think you'd definitely want snow boots; in Montreal, there is snow on the ground from mid or late December through April (late March if it's a warm winter) continuously. Boots will probably cost you 100CAD even on sale if you get them here. You'll also certainly need a warm coat; there are a range of prices for those, but you can probably get a decent one in the 100-150CAD price range. I'm less certain of that because I had a good enough coat already and layer a sweater underneath on cold days. I don't think you need impermeable pants unless you'll be walking around in fields since the sidewalks generally get cleaned reasonably well. I certainly don't have any. What you really do need is a good warm hat, warm gloves, and a scarf. You should be able to get each of these for 10 or 15CAD.

Unfortunately, I don't know the cost of housing in Ottawa, but if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thanks!! Lots of helpful information there, certainly its more cold than I could have imagined! If you don't use impermeable pants how do you keep your legs warm? Jeans would be suicidal no?

Kaodi

Hero
You can get long johns (ankle length underwear). I have never worn them, nor would I be able to give objective evidence about Ottawa, though I am from only two hours south of there. My only really objective advice, borne by having rather poor circulation in my hands and feet, is to make sure you do not neglect your hands, feet, and other extremities. They are the most in danger from extreme cold.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I can't speak to Canadian culture, since I'm not actually in Canada. However, Syracuse has a similar climate - a wide temperature range and lots of snow.

The biggest boon in helping with the cold is to stay dry. Being wet and cold for extended periods of time can be nasty. Dry and cold on the other hand is very manageable.

Definitely make sure you wear warm socks in addition to water-proof boots. The easiest way to get frostbite is to get your feet wet in freezing weather. Legs on the other hand generally tend to stay warm, since you'll presumably be walking around if you're outside. If you think you're going to be rolling around in the snow (and you should definitely plan on it), snowpants are the best solution. However, I'd wait until you get to Canada to buy them; they're not essential and especially in February you'll be able to get them cheaper.

Always plan extra travel time when it's snowing, regardless of your mode of transportation. Ottawa (and most of Canada and Northern US) is really good at managing large amounts of snow, but snow still slows down things.

Definitely make some time for traveling, as there's a lot to see in the area. If you're feeling bold, you could even make a trip into the US; northern New York and the New England area has a lot of nice areas as well. If you do that, you'll definitely want to add a little extra travel time for crossing the border. Also, I'd highly recommend making a copy of your passport as a back-up, just in case. While passport restrictions used to be relaxed between New York and Canada, it's now considered the same as traveling to between countries (grumble grumble :hmm:).

Either way, don't bother with the U.S. side of Niagara Falls. The Canadian side is much more beautiful.

theT0rmented

Explorer
I lived in Ottawa for 3.5 years, about 10 years ago. Loved it. You might get fairly cold weather in early February, -20C for a week or two at most. By March, things start to warm up as the sun gets stronger, and some days go above 0C.

Your gear depends a bit on how you're getting around. Ottawa has an excellent bus system, so you won't need snow pants, unless you want to play in the snow. :) Don't forget facial protection if you're outside for long periods of time when it's less than -10C; frost bite can creep up on you because you don't usually notice. I've seen some students from warmer climates get severe frost bite on their cheeks during long walks to school. Frost bite hurts, a lot.

Ottawa has a lot of festivals; take advantage of them. Winterfest in February (usually) is great, tulip festival in May, and then a whole summer full of festivals.

For rental prices, can't help you now; in 2003, I had a bachelor's appartement at 625$Can per month. I have no idea how much things are now. Ottawa is considered fairly expensive to live in, rental-wise.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Thanks!! Lots of helpful information there, certainly its more cold than I could have imagined! If you don't use impermeable pants how do you keep your legs warm? Jeans would be suicidal no?

I moved here after 8 years in southern California and was worried about the cold, but it's not as bad as it sounds. It's actually easier that it stays cold all winter: the snow doesn't melt and refreeze to ice (often), and you get used to it. We had a mild winter this year, and it was harder in some ways because we kept having to readjust to the cold.

As for pants, I find jeans to be just fine, unless you're going to get wet. On the coldest days, I wear extra socks pulled up high, but you don't need more than that if you're outside 15-20 minutes or less. Well, except on the very coldest days, but I expect you'll hurry whereever you're going then. I know I do! ;)

I can't speak to Canadian culture, since I'm not actually in Canada. However, Syracuse has a similar climate - a wide temperature range and lots of snow.

Actually, this is a good point. Expect temperatures between 30-33C (and humid) for a few weeks in the summer. This year is staying warm, so we've had more of these temperatures than usual.

Definitely make sure you wear warm socks in addition to water-proof boots. The easiest way to get frostbite is to get your feet wet in freezing weather.

This. When the highs are -15C or below, I put long wool socks over my regular socks and put that all into waterproof, insulated boots. My feet don't get wet really in the winter, but wool has the added advantage of staying warm even when wet.

Also, I'd highly recommend making a copy of your passport as a back-up, just in case. While passport restrictions used to be relaxed between New York and Canada, it's now considered the same as traveling to between countries (grumble grumble :hmm:).
Absolutely. Never travel without a copy of your passport (and visas if you need them).

Your gear depends a bit on how you're getting around. Ottawa has an excellent bus system, so you won't need snow pants, unless you want to play in the snow. :) Don't forget facial protection if you're outside for long periods of time when it's less than -10C; frost bite can creep up on you because you don't usually notice. I've seen some students from warmer climates get severe frost bite on their cheeks during long walks to school. Frost bite hurts, a lot.

Yup. Once again, get good gloves (look for something with thinsulate) and maybe a thin pair to go underneath those on very cold days. And get a scarf, long enough to wind around your head and wide enough to cover from nose to neck even when folded over. It's very important in cold weather, especially when windy.

One other thought: since you're arriving in February, you should at the very least have your coat before you arrive (and as much else as possible). Since it gets down to -5C in Argentina, you should be able to get a good coat there. Maybe a wool overcoat or a down-filled coat. My main winter coat is down-filled, and I got it in North Carolina, where it rarely gets below -5C either, and I find it fine even down to -20 if I wear a sweater underneath.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Lots of replies with usefull information! Thanks all for this. A couple more questions:

-For facial protection, a scarf is good enough or is there something else, more specific protection? I find now that I'm pretty scared of frostbite!

-For a copy of passaport you mean a fotocopy? or another passport?

-Any additional information about festivals? You know, we from down the south here love to party :)

theT0rmented

Explorer
Yeah, a scarf is sufficient. You'll only really need it if you walk for 10+ minutes outside, or it's really windy.

A photocopy of your passport is what they mean.

The web site of the city of Ottawa has a lot of info: City of Ottawa

Since it's the capital, there's a lot of national museums in Ottawa and Gatineau (the city across the Ottawa River). Most have free admission on certain days; you can visit most of them for free by careful planning. But since you're there for 5 months, that shouldn't be a problem.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
I grew up in Gatineau which is on the north shore of the Ottawa river. For someone used to the warm Argentinian weather, yes the winters in Ottawa will seem cold. Yes frostbite is a possibility but it is not instantaneous. A simple scarf made of wool, acrylic or polartech will get you around without any trouble. Also, if you keep moving your face and extremities, you will reduce frostbite risks.

As mentioned above, you will need warm clothing. While one good duvet winter coat will get you by, it is generally better to wear layers. The layers will keep more air insulation and provide better warmth while being less bulky. I generaly get by with a long sleeve shirt, a polartech sweater and an outer weather breathable shell. When the temperature drops to a point where that is uncomfortable, I add another layer of sweater.

For legs, for everyday use, you can get by without any special clothing. You only need snowpants/polartech with outer shell pants when you want to go playing in the snow (skiing, snowshoeing, skating, etc.).

Warm hat (tuque), gloves or mittens, and warm boots large enough to allow you to wear an extra pair of wool socks are a must. Not only will it prevent frostbite, they also help in providing a feeling of warmth.

As far cost of living, rent in Ottawa of a 1 bedroom appartment, also designated as a 3.5 room appartment, will generally range from 700-1000$ per month. The exact cost will depend on whether or not the utilities (electricity, water, heat) are included, the quality of the appartment and its location. You can generally decrease the rent if you move on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river by as much as 25%. You will have a longer commute, however if you work/study in certain parts of Ottawa. Food and gorceries will probably average you between 200$-400$ a month depending on how good you are at setting a budget and sticking to it. A monthly bus pass will cost you between 80-140$ per month (averaging around 100$) depending where you live and where you work. Again, it is a bit less if you live on the Quebec side of the river, but the commute is longer and the quality of the sevice is a bit less.

The Ottawa-Gatineau area is typical of capital cities in the sense that the economy is largely based on services. You have access to a lot of museums, galleries. There are some good theaters. The size of the urban area allows very good and swift access to natural settings (Rideau canal, Ottawa river, Gatineau river, Rideau river, Gatineau park, Greenbelt, etc.). Ottawa used to have a reputation of a cities where nothing happened after 21h00. That has changed somewhat in the last decade or so. Although the night life remain a little more active on the Quebec side of the river. I have always thought that the Ottawa-Gatineau has a little to offer for everyone.

Note : I now live near Quebec city, but Ottawa is my hometown and I hope to be able to move back there to raise my family soon.

Remove ads