• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone got a spare Major Artifact

EvilPheemy

First Post
Would anyone be kind enough to tell this poor old DM what the powers associated with the Throne of the Gods are? I had a great and wonderful idea for a campaign and it features said Artifact, but alas my first edition books are stored in a Barn 2,000 miles away, and my 3rd edition collection has a rarther large, Throne-shaped gap in it's information.

I don't really need all of the specific details (after all, it IS intellectual property) just give me the overview, please. Help a gamer out.

Thanks to the board in advance.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One of the excellent things about the 1e artifacts was that it didn't tell you what the actual powers were, but left blanks for the DM to fill in the appropriate bits

The throne had

3 x I (minor benign powers)
3 x II (major benign powers)
2 x III (minor malevolent effects)
2 x IV (major malevolent effects)
2 x V (prime powers)
2 x VI (side effects)

Cheers

EvilPheemy

First Post
Thanks for your help. I've put together a suite for my Throne of the Gods. I don't think I went over-the-top (because, hey, it's a Major Artifact after all), but I am curious to see if I've gone far enough.

The Throne of the Gods

Minor Benign Powers
A. Acts as a Helm of Telepathy so long as the owner is seated upon the Throne
B. Owner can cast Augury one time per day per level so long as they are seated upon the Throne
C. The owner can cast Prayer a number of times per day equal to their Charisma Modifier.

Major Benign Powers
A. Acts as a Crystal Ball with True Seeing so long as the owner is seated upon the Throne
B. The owner can cast Hero’s Feast once per day at 20th level so long as they are seated upon the Throne
C. The owner’s Charisma score is raised permanently to 25 the first time they sit upon the Throne

Minor Malevolent Effects
A. The owner instantly acquires the Extraplanar Subtype with regards to spell and power vulnerabilities. (The owner’s home plane shifts to the outer plane which matches their alignment.)
B. The owner’s skin permanently glows as if under the effects of a Light spell. The effect can be suppressed, but never permanently dispelled

Major Malevolent Effects
A. The owner cannot suffer any other being to sit upon the Throne and will violently resist any attempts for others to do so.
B. Each time the owner uses a Prime Power, they suffer one Negative Level (DC 25)

Prime Powers
A. The owner can, once per day invoke magic equivalent to a Wish or Miracle spell without the Experience Point component
B. The owner can create a Gate (as a 20th level caster) a number of times per day equal to their Charisma Modifier

Side Effects
A. The owner of the Throne of the Gods becomes a megalomaniac with aspirations of Godhood
B. The owner of the Throne of the Gods cannot be Raised, Resurrected, or True Resurrected. Short of direct intervention from the Gods themselves, when the character dies, they remain deceased.

Asha'man

First Post
I like those stats, but I think that if you can use the calling function of Gate, and especially if it doesn't cost XP (and SLAs don't) then Cha mod/day is far too much. 1/day should be enough. Gate is almost as powerful and versatile itself as Wish.

milo

First Post
They also risk losing a level at a Fort save DC 25. Although at some point in the game the becomes an easy role.

Quartz

Hero
> B. The owner’s skin permanently glows as if under the effects of a Light spell. The effect can be suppressed, but never permanently dispelled

Nimbus of Light feat?

EvilPheemy

First Post
I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent glow, something mildly inconveniencing (you glow all the darn time, but can suppress it by casting darkness, or using a magic item). It's an uncontrolled effect. (I'm not familiar with the Nimbus of Light feat, but I suspect that it's more controllable and beneficial. At the level where Major Artifacts come in to play, it's not crippling by a long shot. But the light will even cancel out permanent attempts to quench it, eventually. I'd say that the effect would return in a day at the longest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads