• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone got the Dummies book?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We got these in late last week, but thanks to a certain movie release, a Webelos campout and the following coma, I have only started to skim through the book.
Part III: Playing Your Best Game and Part IV: The Art of Dungeon Mastering each seem to have a few worthwhile nuggets for the D&D veterans. I haven't read much yet, I will give more info later.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
In the 25+ years I've gamed, I've yet to run across players or DMs that spend that kind of money on each other. To drag out the tired Seinfeld-ism, who are these people? I've considered myself lucky if all my players actually had a copy of the rules of the game we were playing.

Best I can tell, diaglo likes to spend money on gaming materials, be it books, dice, minis or whatever. He buys plenty of stuff that I doubt he will ever use, including more dice than all of EN World could ever use. He maintains his collection of D&D materials, despite his self-proclaimed "hat of d02". Add in the fact that, despite his evangelical faith in OD&D, he is genuinely a good guy, and there you go.

I've thumbed through the book and read a few passages. From what I can tell, I don't think it would be a good idea for a newbie to attempt to learn the game using only the Dummies book. It refers to the other books, especially the Players Handbook, frequently, usually citing page numbers. It is more of a companion volume. I don't know if I would have bought it for myself, but it is a decent book that seems to have good insight. It will probably help me teach the game to my kids in the years to come, and maybe help me in my own games as well.

diaglo

Adventurer
ColonelHardisson said:
In the 25+ years I've gamed, I've yet to run across players or DMs that spend that kind of money on each other. To drag out the tired Seinfeld-ism, who are these people? I've considered myself lucky if all my players actually had a copy of the rules of the game we were playing.

you've never spent that on gifts for friends?

now i'm confuzzled. :confused:

for over 7 years (going on 8 in sept) i've been hounding T$R and then WotC and then Hasbeen for something like this. do you think i'd not buy into the concept and spread the love. :D

Bill and Rich are my new Gaming Heroes.

diaglo

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
All this about a NEW D&D product, I am holding on to my chair to not fall out :uhoh:

do a search for:

Complete Idiot's Guide to d02 Roleplaying

see if you don't find my screen name.... ;)

ruaalien2

First Post
As a total newbie to the game, I am finding it helpful. I sat down the other night with it and the PHB side by side. I wouldn't recommend a newbie looking at it without having PHB handy though, as it does make a lot of refrences to it as people have already mentioned.It helped me make a final decision on what type of charcter that I want to play, which I wasn't able to do with just the PHB because it was a little to complicated for me.

woodelf

First Post
Wycen said:
One night we tried the Basic game. One of the handouts has a picture just like the one in that pdf preview and the "percentile d10" is called a d90. (I think we have our first true hint at what 4th edition will have). :p

OK, except it lacks basic consistency/parallelism. If a die numbered 00..90 is a 'd90', then surely a die numbered 0..9 is a 'd9', right? But one presumes that one or more of the writers actually calls it that--i can't believe they invented a name they'd never use just for a gamebook.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads