• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone granting max HP to PCs by default?

Li Shenron

Legend
As a DM I have long removed any randomness in character creation and level-up, unless the players really want to. I always start by proposing the fixed ability array, but I allow point-buy and rolling for ability scores at your own risk. Similarly, I grant average HP by default when levelling up. I do not recommend players to roll for anything they will be stuck with long-term.

I was wondering recently if I could even take it a step further and grant max HP instead of average when levelling up (as in 1st level). Obviously this means tougher PCs, but then I can always be more mean with monsters if I feel the encounters are too easy. Mainly, the effect would be to make the players less worried about dying in the first encounter of the day or from a single unfortunate trap/attack/spell.

I don't think this is a popular idea at all, but I am curious if any DM out there has used this before and whether it made a difference or not.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am more inclined to start characters at level 5. Makes them more robust offensively and more interesting in over all details.

Last edited:

ehenning

Explorer
My DM allowed max HP in our RoD campaign. Still was scary as sh*t until lvl 3. Then we all went crazy at lvl 7, so lots of HP didn’t help there...

Double HP for lv 1 and average from then on for most groups.

I've ran max HP per LV once in a PF campaign mostly just for fun. Didn't have AA big impact IMO.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm not a fan of this overall.
The only time I've done this was when I ran a short PF2 campaign as a fill in/test. Max HP per lv is the default in PF2.

Otherwise it's take the average or roll, your choice.

Yes, I gave my PCs max hp ... as well to my monsters.

After taking three hours for a CR5 to end, I concluded that giving max hp to every single monster wasn't the best idea.
Giving NPC an uncanny Dodge like feature works well. Boost in survivability without just making it a HP grind.

Remove ads