• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone have a good house rule to bring some consistency to spell casting in armor/encumbrance/grappling

snickersnax

Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone has a good consistency rule change for spell casting in armor vs encumbrance vs grappling. It seems strange to me that padded armor is too distracting and physically hampering to cast a spell, but you could be carrying 200lbs of pots and pans in back packs and if you were heavily encumbered ( I know its a variant rule) have a reduced speed of 20 with disadvantage on str, con and dex saves and checks and not have a problem casting a spell.

You can be grappled and being moved against your will, have zero move speed, and still cast a spell and not have any penalties on saves or checks. Meaning if you are grappled by inanimate equipment there is less penalty than being grappled by an equal or heavier weight animate creature.

But if you are actually restrained by magic/ manacles/huge creatures/ inanimate objects (you are being pinned down by a 500 lb rock (exceeding your strength by 30x)) There is less penalty than heavy encumbrance and somehow can still cast spells.

I recognize that there are balance issues with each of these things, but I'd really like to have a great system that makes sense.

When you design rules around avoiding not being able to cast spells because spell disruption isn't "fun" you get all kinds of silliness.

You can make a house rule that certain conditions-grappled, restrained,& prone prevent the casting of any spell requiring a somatic component. Done.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm wondering if anyone has a good consistency rule change for spell casting in armor vs encumbrance vs grappling. It seems strange to me that padded armor is too distracting and physically hampering to cast a spell
One of the rationalizations back in the day was that it wasn't the amount of armor, but the full-body covering aspect (thus elven chain might be OK), disrupting the field of magical energy around the caster or something. Of course, casters can wear armor, anyway, they just need to be proficient.

I recognize that there are balance issues with each of these things, but I'd really like to have a great system that makes sense.
There's no balance issue that wouldn't be improved by heaping some further restrictions on casting. ;) Grant AoOs for casting in melee, disallow casting when encumbered, require a concentration check when grappled or suffering from an movement-restricting conditions, etc...

...you can do that with formal house rules, or you can just make rulings as you go...

Li Shenron

Legend

Not so easy.

Encumbrance and grappling are accidental conditions, wearing an armor is effectively a permanent choice (sure there can be occasions when you are unprepared and aren't wearing your armor, but at least you normally want to wear the best armor you can).

So when you create a system that makes sense for casting in armor, it won't be great. It will almost always just push people to avoid either armor or spellcasting, or get exactly that kind of armor that doesn't give penalty.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Grant AoOs for casting in melee, disallow casting when encumbered, require a concentration check when grappled or suffering from an movement-restricting conditions, etc...

Those ideas seem familiar. It's almost as if I've seen them before...

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
One of the rationalizations back in the day was that it wasn't the amount of armor, but the full-body covering aspect (thus elven chain might be OK), disrupting the field of magical energy around the caster or something. Of course, casters can wear armor, anyway, they just need to be proficient.

I can't find the reference but the reasoning I recall was that armour interferes with the body-contortionist like requirements of somatic gestures.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mostly from 3.x ...
... don't recall if the heavy-encumbrance anomaly has ever been addressed, though.

I know. I didn't put the wink smiley, sorry.

I don't see any real problem morphing the old ASF rules into a more general "encumbrance affects spellcasting" rule.

Remove ads