• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have D20 Cyberscape?

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
hobgoblin said:
its as if they think that cyberpunk is frozen in the 80's thinking of gibson and contemporarys.
See, the thing is, when I think Cyberpunk, that's exactly what I think of, that late 70's/early 80's punk/new wave scene with cyberware. There's a lot to be said for modern definitions of cyberpunk with streamlined tech that extrapolates based on modern technological advances, and I like it all the same, but to me, quintessential Cyberpunk is less Matrix and more Blade Runner.

hobgoblin

First Post
and blade runner can be seen as maltese falcon with biological androids ;)
or more correctly, film noir with cyberware. i kinda like that description for cyberpunk...

Threedub

First Post
I plan on picking up Cyberscape, but I am looking for a different version of VR than Cyberpunk 2020. We played a considerable amount of 2020, but the Netrunner's skills did not help foster a group game, except when taking over computer controlled devices while doing B&Es or something of that nature. I plan on keeping the style and feel of old Cyberpunk but refashioning Netrunning so that it enhances group play; I just haven't decided how to do that yet. Suggestions?

hobgoblin

First Post
well the cp2020 take on cyberspace is archaic to say the least.
hell, even the SR3 take on it was messy.

the VRnet system used on cyberscape maybe be a bit better (the more i look at it the more it reminds me of the one in ogl cybernet). but its still a place that mostly the hacker only roams from what i have understood so far. but i may have missed something.

RodneyThompson

First Post
When I wrote the section on the VRNet I tried to emphasize that it's like the internet -- not just hackers use it, but everyone. It's a place to do research, meet people, gather information, etc. Now, your hacker-type characters are, of course, going to be very powerful there, but it was designed so that anyone could jack in and poke around the interior or a computer system or network. The idea is that the VRNet is like another dimension or adventuring locale, not just a place for hackers.

Graf

Explorer
Moridin said:
When I wrote the section on the VRNet I <snip> The idea is that the VRNet is like another dimension or adventuring locale, not just a place for hackers.

Was there some kind of comandment from on high like "you should make a d20 version of cyberpunk" or was there a concious decision to just stick to "core" game traditions (i.e. the Gibson style interface that was popular in Cyberpunk 2020 or earlier editions of Shadowrun)?

Are there going to be any web enchancements that try to make "noderunners" viable members of an adventuring group?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads