• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have the new Quintessential Wizard?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Wondering if anyone had this yet and what your impression were.

I'm really curious as to how everything balances with what we have in the Player's Handbook? Anything wonky? Anything seem waaaay off?

If not, this could be a really good resource for those of us looking for more options.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I would be interested in hearing more about it too. Is there a table of contents online? Anyone know what paragon paths are inside?

Armadillo

Explorer
I had a chance to flip through it. I liked what I saw. There is tons of crunch: new spells, rituals, feats, rules for familiars, paragon paths, magic items, and guides for designing and playing wizards and designing wizard towers. It looks like a worthwhile book.

I don't know how balanced it is, and I'd be interested in hearing about that.

haaz

First Post
I have asked Mongoose directly, and they said the Qint. Wizard will be available in PDF in approximately one month.

Khuxan

First Post
I have asked Mongoose directly, and they said the Qint. Wizard will be available in PDF in approximately one month.

I wonder why this is. Malhavoc Press did it the other way around - releasing the pdf one month before the book. Perhaps Mongoose is doing it this way to discourage piracy.

Imban

First Post
I wonder why this is. Malhavoc Press did it the other way around - releasing the pdf one month before the book. Perhaps Mongoose is doing it this way to discourage piracy.

Perhaps, though also they might be doing it to encourage sales of the physical book - which, you know, they had to sink money into doing an entire print run of, and which costs more - too.

evilgenius8000

First Post
I just got the book today... I'll need some time to look through it, but it has a LOT of options for wizards. There are some optional rules that are different than the core stuff (such as wizard origins, which are pretty much like backgrounds, but it gives you a suggested list of powers/feats/etc like a build), and of course a bunch of wizard spells. Just from a quick glance, there's a lot of interesting powers, including some with the Weapon keyword (which use Int for attack and usually Int for dam - though i saw one that used Str for dam). There's also a couple of new cantrips.

There's a bunch of paragon paths (pyro- and cryomancers, chronomancers, and gloom necromancers to name a few), though no epic destinies that I see.

Bunch of new implements, including 4 new types of them (dragonmasks, hats, shields, and mirrors).

Here's the basic abilities of the 4 new implements (in addition to whatever magical effects the thing might have):

Dragonmask: 1/enc - extra elemental damage on an attack, or gain resistance
Hat: 1/enc - extend range of spell
Shield: 1/enc - force foe to reroll melee attk
Mirror: 1/enc - shift & gain concealment

Also, there's a new type of magic item with its' own item slot: the rune. You can have 2 runes tattooed on your body at a time (one on each arm). They have various abilities; they seem to either improve powers of a certain type or grant bonuses to skills. Though, two really stand out to me: one (a level 18 one) has a daily power that lets you regain a spent encounter power as a minor action; another (lvl 23) has a daily power that lets you regain a daily power. I haven't exactly pored over every magic item in the AV or PHB, but those two runes seem pretty damn good to me.

There's a few other things in the book, but that's all i've really looked at so far... There's also a TON of feats, and a chapter on wizard towers (not sure if they give any bonus to a character or not).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads