• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone here from Edmonton, Alberta?

Anubus

First Post
Damn, I didn't know warp 1 started charging people to browse, that's incredible. Guess it's a good thing we have enworld to read reviews and such on then.:D

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Alchemist said:
I prefer Calgary. It's greener
TB, PLEASE consider this statement VERY carefully. Having lived in Edmonton, Calgary and now Vancouver, I can tell you that any time somebody tells you that Cal - "The Brownest City in Canada" -gary is GREENER than some other place, take heed.

Alchemist

First Post
barsoomcore said:
TB, PLEASE consider this statement VERY carefully. Having lived in Edmonton, Calgary and now Vancouver, I can tell you that any time somebody tells you that Cal - "The Brownest City in Canada" -gary is GREENER than some other place, take heed.

Calgary is indeed brown-ish lately. Blame it on the drought that has gripped southern and east-central Alberta for the past few years. The greenspaces are very nice if you can see beyond the greater ecological force at work at the moment. It's still a beautiful place, and with easy access to K-country and the mountain parks. Edmonton certainly does not have such a "green" resource so close at hand.

In any case, these are subjective opinions everybody is tossing around. I like Calgary and the parkspaces around it. YMMV, of course.

Anubus

First Post
Geographically speaking, Calgary has more green space close by, without question. However we're talking about the city it self, and Calgary just can't compare.;)

Magic Rub

First Post
"Blaa Blaa Blaa My city is better"
"Blaa Blaa Blaa NO My city is better!"

ect... ect... ect...

For the record Winnipeg is the greenest city in Canada -So says the Gov. of Canada - Trust me it's a fricken forrest.

I currently live in Calgary, it's nice. I have some friends in Edmonton, it's also very nice.

Good luck to you Billy where ever you happen to land up. IMO, almost any city in Canada is a good choice. Remember, home is what you make of it.

Alchemist

First Post
Magic Rub said:
"Blaa Blaa Blaa My city is better"
"Blaa Blaa Blaa NO My city is better!"

ect... ect... ect...

For the record Winnipeg is the greenest city in Canada -So says the Gov. of Canada - Trust me it's a fricken forrest.

I currently live in Calgary, it's nice. I have some friends in Edmonton, it's also very nice.

Good luck to you Billy where ever you happen to land up. IMO, almost any city in Canada is a good choice. Remember, home is what you make of it.

Preach it, brother.

Trainz

Explorer
Montreal is the grey-est city in canada, but DAMN the action is good !

Move in Montreal TB. I need to play in your game. I do.

*sigh*

DWARF

First Post
The place in St. Albert is Mission:Fun and Games. A few of my firends work their, I know the owner fairly well and am currently playing in a weekly/bi-monthly game with his wife. Nice place, tons of selection, and they'll be sure to order stuff in for you if they don't know about it.

Plus, there's NO way they'd ever charge you to LOOK at a book, that stuffs crazy!

I admit to having only read the first page of this thread, so I'm sorry if you've moved on to discussing other topics. Regarding Edmonton...hmmm. While I'm an American citizen, I was born in Nelson, BC and then subsequently moved to a dinky town north of Edmonton called Fox Creek. I have some fond memories of Edmonton, but I wouldn't say it's a happenin' sort of place the way that Vancouver is. Edmonton is more than alright if you want to get married, settle down with your SO, start a family, and whatnot, but otherwise...hmmm. I've lived a lot, really, really a lot, of places in my life. All across the States, Europe, and have currently been in Asia for the past four years. Might have made me a bit jaded, but Edmonton is basically a large city with a small-town mentality. If you're looking for 'burbs, then it's a very nice place, with an emphasis on very. I myself kind of like that sort of town, but I do admit that it's not for everybody. The running, in and out of the city, is excellent. Lots of good trails and nature is never far away.

Yaroslavl

First Post
I agree with DWARF about Mission: Fun and Games in St. Albert. My sister recently moved to St. Albert and when I visited her awhile back I stopped in to have a look-I was impressed. Neat shop with good selection and friendly, knowledgeable staff. Of course the best game shop in Alberta IMO is The Sentry Box. Always stop in there when I am on business trips to Calgary, and have ordered from them over the phone with no problems. As far as the Edmonton vs. Calgary thing goes, I lived in Edmonton when I was in University and College, and spent lots of time in Calgary. Edmonton=blue collar, Calgary=white collar. I prefer Edmonton. I have taken my wife (who is from Europe) to visit both-she prefers Edmonton.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads