• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone know when D20 Modern/Future Might Be Out?

Every update of a system moves potential players out of a system.
So it's just a little egoismn - those potential players don't need a different system, even if they'd like it more?

Well, won't argue with that. But I just say - my egoismn says me I want a d20 Modern 4E, even if Loonook loses a few potential players.
There is little basis for discussion here.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
To be honest, cosmologically PoL works a bit better with an image of Modern fantasy than Urban Arcana. The Shadowfell and Feywild, with a little adjustment (having better names/more 'in world' names for Modern) make them close enough to a lot of Modern homebrew (my own included) that I wouldn't object.
*Shifty eyes* Arcadia and Shadow Realm! (WoD) :p

I think it be neat seeing a 4e version of Modern. It be quite neat seeing a Modern approach to Powers and such, hehe, I can just imagine how much fun I would have for example with firearms.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Sorry Loonook, but I'd like to see a new take on a modern rules-set as well. Like d20 Modern as I do (and I like it *a lot*), I just can't get anyone else to like it enough to play it regularly. And actually, I think some streamlining could do wonders for the system's appeal. Selfishly speaking, I'd buy that for a dollar or two.

Loonook

First Post
So it's just a little egoismn - those potential players don't need a different system, even if they'd like it more?

Well, won't argue with that. But I just say - my egoismn says me I want a d20 Modern 4E, even if Loonook loses a few potential players.
There is little basis for discussion here.

Yes... and yet, the system lacks the flexibility to build something yourself which reflects Modern. . . ehh, you're one I'm not even going to worry about because you will fight anyone who places the letter E, the number 4, and a negative connotation in the same thread with each other.

*Shifty eyes* Arcadia and Shadow Realm! (WoD) :p

I think it be neat seeing a 4e version of Modern. It be quite neat seeing a Modern approach to Powers and such, hehe, I can just imagine how much fun I would have for example with firearms.

Neat, maybe . . . as I said I could see ways in which Modern could be great for a Superheroes game (our forgotten Superheroes supplement ;) ) in 4e, and make an excellent game that may kill M&M. However, please find a different name for the system...

Also, yeah, the idea of a plane of darkness and a plane of natural chaos is a pretty common one in the current systems/settings of the day... I enjoy the concept of comeritous and coexistant planar cosmology over the Great Wheel in Modern due to the base nature of Shadow and the good interpretations which I have seen.

Sorry Loonook, but I'd like to see a new take on a modern rules-set as well. Like d20 Modern as I do (and I like it *a lot*), I just can't get anyone else to like it enough to play it regularly. And actually, I think some streamlining could do wonders for the system's appeal. Selfishly speaking, I'd buy that for a dollar or two.

See, I usually don't have an over-the-top problem getting people to play if it is presented appropriately and with tweaks. Streamlining... yeah, streamlining doesn't = a complete overhaul of a system based on it. It is a matter of developing a story beyond 'let's play d20 Modern!', because if you can't get 3.X players to play Modern yet play 4e... wow, I want to meet that group ;).

I enjoy the idea that protesting a new form of Modern by WotC is somehow selfish or egoistic. Yes, by 'denying' people through my rants (?) I am preventing thousands of starving children around the world from getting their Modern FIX. Somewhere in the depths of an urban wasteland a man grips his chest, falling to his death because some kind soul didn't give him his inherent right to Modern 2.0. There's not some sort of amazing solution to the world's ills in the creation of a new game; just some hobby wish fulfillment.

If they do something akin to d20 Modern in this Modern 2.0 (creating an alltogether setting-neutral system of character development) it may be worth it to see it. However, I don't think that Wizards is going to pull some magic bullet out of... nowhere... for the benefit of others. If it is profitable there will be a book. However, if it is going to be a retrofit of 4e to make it 'more Modern' rather than the generic modular style of 3e-redux presented in
d20 Modern . . . it will be beyond a disappointment, and separate the community again for no reason other than profit.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Scribble

First Post
Every update of a system moves potential players out of a system. Apologies if I fervently hope that WotC, in their infinite 'wisdom', decides to pass over a property for something rather than create another divisive system which will not have the original intentions in place.

You can hope all you want, doesn't bother me. I was just responding to your comment about what "most peiople who play modern" enjoy.

Also, if you need a professional to port 4e concepts to a Modern version... yeah, that's sort of telling of some of the point, isn't it?

That I have a busy life and can't spare the time needed to rewrite an entire rules system, and would therefore like someone who actually gets paid to spend that time to do it for me? So that I can then use it for what I DO want to spend my spare time doing? (Ie Actually gaming?)

Or are you just trying to sling some kind of strange insult? In which case, I'm not playing that game either. Take it easy. Happy gamming.

Loonook

First Post
That I have a busy life and can't spare the time needed to rewrite an entire rules system, and would therefore like someone who actually gets paid to spend that time to do it for me? So that I can then use it for what I DO want to spend my spare time doing? (Ie Actually gaming?)

Or are you just trying to sling some kind of strange insult? In which case, I'm not playing that game either. Take it easy. Happy gamming.

There's almost no rewriting necessary for conversion of anything to anything in d20 Modern vs. 3.x... I doubt that you would need to worry about it in 4e unless there are enormous differences.

Whatever happened to the understanding that the rules do not define the game as much as the game defines the rules.

I would go gamming, but I believe it is against my various restraining orders... instead,

Good Gaming,
Slainte,

-Loonook.

Yes... and yet, the system lacks the flexibility to build something yourself which reflects Modern. . . ehh, you're one I'm not even going to worry about because you will fight anyone who places the letter E, the number 4, and a negative connotation in the same thread with each other.
Thanks, this basically means I don't have to react to any questions of you? I am happy.

Armadillo

Explorer
You can hope all you want, doesn't bother me. I was just responding to your comment about what "most peiople who play modern" enjoy.

Let's try this from another angle: What sort of game would you play with a d20M 4e?

To me, the structure of classes and powers used in 4e would only be useful for limited styles of play: Gamma World and Urban Arcana (though that would probably result in an even worse knockoff of Buffy than we saw in d20M).

Look at the range of d20M products on RPGnow: Pulp, SF, Military, Western/Victorian, Cyberpunk, Supers, Spies, Mecha, and more. I just don't see that a d20M 4e would be flexible enough to support that wide a range of genres and play styles.

Scribble

First Post
Let's try this from another angle: What sort of game would you play with a d20M 4e?

To me, the structure of classes and powers used in 4e would only be useful for limited styles of play: Gamma World and Urban Arcana (though that would probably result in an even worse knockoff of Buffy than we saw in d20M).

Why would this be?

What about the classes/powers approach to the game that 4e takes would make it not work for anything other then the above?

I could already see something similar to Alchemy but for explosives or for computer programs... I think rituals fit for a modern game system as well.

Look at the range of d20M products on RPGnow: Pulp, SF, Military, Western/Victorian, Cyberpunk, Supers, Spies, Mecha, and more. I just don't see that a d20M 4e would be flexible enough to support that wide a range of genres and play styles.

I still don't see why not.

Remove ads