• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone not getting the 3.5 books? (at least right away)

Treebore

First Post
There are lots of them getting it. Myself and my 5 players are not among them. We are thinking about switching over to Hackmaster. I like the d20 3.0 mechanics, but the game itself has become to easy to break. To keep things under control I have to house rule and discourage the use of a lot of material. 3.5 is just a lot more of that hassle. I will look at how the character classes have been redone though.

As far as I can tell i will use the SRD to find out what I like. If it ends up being a lot I might get the 3.5. Otherwise I will try out the Midnight campaign with my 60 to 90 dollars.

Then I will give another look when 4.0 comes out.

Trickstergod

First Post
I don't plan on getting the new books right away, and for that matter, don't know if I'll be getting them ever.

Why? I don't like a good chunk of the changes, and I don't like Wizards motivation in pimping them out in the first place.

There's a reason I rarely pre-order something without at least skimming through it or reading a review, and this is one of those reasons. I was rabidly supportive of the dreadfully titled 3.5, when no one knew much about it and were just spouting drivel, but that's just because no one knew much about the new books, as opposed to trusting that they'd be any good. Now, though, eh....

There's the fact that I'm generally broke, but that has nothing to do with it - there's a large number of books I feel I should pick up (everything Scarred Lands I don't have yet, a chunk of Ravenloft, Midnight, heck, even other Wizards products), and even if I had a good chunk of spare change, the new Core books would all take a back seat to that extensive number of books I'd like to pick up. Probably for years to come because, again, I don't much like the changes nor Wizards motivation in pimping them out.

If they were good, and made to last, sure, I'd be picking them up, if not right away, then eventually. But, little effect that it may have, I'd like to think my lack of purchasing the books gives out a little squeak of "Hey, cut that crap out." Probably not, but I can dream. As it is, I'll be taking advantage of the SRD, printing out those parts I'll be using for the games I run, and possibly the rest of the changes if I ever play in a 3.5 game.

Eh.

Daiymo

First Post
(In best Gollum voice)

No, we hates it..unsure of the sheer number of changes..

Wait yes..shiny new books must have....

Naww, MC's and SKR's opinions makes me think twice..soo full of doubt...

Yes! the MM info seems worth it. Stat blocks..tactics, we luvs it..

NO no no-3e was what brought me back to RPGing Im soo used to it I love it warts and all...my preciousss...

Yes Dungon and Dragon mags will be 3 revised now! Must be current, yessss.

NO I see the WOTC conspiracy for what it really is! Trickeys, it Trickseys us it does!

Ah heck Ill just get Arcana Unearthed

baradtgnome

First Post
bret said:
Not getting them, but will read through the SRD.

Currently expect that 3.5 will cause considerable fragmentation of the market, with many people using house rules.

I agree with this sentiment. More likely to spend $ on non WOTC products instead. We have been holding off on house rules so far, but I think there is no reason to any more. Or at least this was enough to push me over. Benefits of 3.5 will be house ruled via SRD.

drothgery

First Post
I think I'm just going to wait a few weeks, until I can get the revised rulebooks, Arcana Unearthed, Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox, and Steven Brust's latest novel in one order from Amazon (pre-ordering from Amazon is usually a bad idea).

My DM doesn't think much of 3.5, and our 3.0 game should wrap up soon; next game's likely to be in d20 Modern. But I definitely want the new PH, if just for the revised core classes, and the new DMG. Which means I probably should get the MM and complete the set.

Templetroll

Explorer
I'm broke, :) , so will not be getting the 3.5 books right away.

Our gaming group will likely chip in to make certain our GM has the books so we can adjust our campaign. Folks in the group willing allow others to persue the splatbooks and such that they have; this is likely to continue.

My daughter told me we will be getting the PHB as she thinks the cover looks really cool. :)

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Not me, prolly not ever. SRD + 3e books + houserules + 22-year collection of 1e & 2e materials = decades of gaming left without 3.5.

jemkym

First Post
Nope

My group pretty much rejected buying the books out-of-hand, and though and while I like the changes to rangers and bards, I probably won't either.

I'll look through the SRD, but a purchase doesn't seem worth it to me for a large number of reasons. I mean, what will I be getting for the $90? A smallish amount of new art, a few clearly good ideas (particularly to the monsters and some of the prestige classes), and a large number of bad changes that all-but-require house ruling (about seventy percent of the changes in the Player's Handbook).

Besides, I'll already have Arcana Unearthed to enjoy.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Add my name to the do-not-call-list.

I thought little of the new rules coming out in the first place, but after viewing most of them, I'm convinced that they do indeed suck. It's only a cheap ploy to make a quick buck at the gaming community's expense, and I for one feel that it will basically cause a schizm of sorts among gamers, who from now on (or at least until 4.0) won't really have a "default" D&D to fall back on anymore.

For that matter, I wonder how well the industry will handle 4.0 if it's as bad as 3.5 (or at least perceived as such)... This could well be the New Coke of D&D.

Remove ads