Anyone pick up the 3.5 reprints?

rkarnes

First Post
That sounds pretty silly. How do you kill the OSR by releasing the original books that influenced them? That's like trying to put out a fire by pouring Premium gas on the blaze.

It may be silly, to be honest, but I do not see it as such. For me, OSR is a fecund ground for new publishers who love and understand the game to come in and put out great products. [hyperbolic] WoTC is, to my peyote-blasted mind, the corporate-owned megabeast hyperbolic that dominated the market from 2001-2008 [/hyperbolic]. I'm not saying that by buying their books you're dousing the brave flame of indy publishing, but I am saying that by buying their products -instead- of an OSR product, you are making it harder for those smaller publishers to thrive. It's the same "shopping locally" logic that I use to guilt my friends.

Treebore

First Post
Anyone see WOTC say precisely what they mean by "latest errata" in the ad blurb? Because if it includes all the final versions of spells, notably Polymorph, that would give me a good enough reason to buy.

am181d

Adventurer
Anyone see WOTC say precisely what they mean by "latest errata" in the ad blurb? Because if it includes all the final versions of spells, notably Polymorph, that would give me a good enough reason to buy.

You are now the third person to ask. I was the first. Doesnt sound like anyone's actually bought the thing yet to check. I looked on Wizards' site and there was no corresponding thread so I think we're boned until somebody breaks down and buys the thing or figures out how to get Wizards on the record.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not quite sure what 'latest errata' meant either. I have the soft cover version of the PHB which was printed later on in 3rd Edition's life cycle, and it already has some errata in it. There are differences when I compare it to my older hard cover. I'm curious how much of a difference there is between it and the new books.

I also purchased the Rules Compendium for 3rd. I was of the impression that had the latest errata in it -at the time at least. What would have changed between then and now?

am181d

Adventurer
I'm not quite sure what 'latest errata' meant either. I have the soft cover version of the PHB which was printed later on in 3rd Edition's life cycle, and it already has some errata in it. There are differences when I compare it to my older hard cover. I'm curious how much of a difference there is between it and the new books.

I also purchased the Rules Compendium for 3rd. I was of the impression that had the latest errata in it -at the time at least. What would have changed between then and now?

There was apparently some back and forth at the time about whether the updates in the Rules Compendium counted as errata or not. I think someone at Wizards said "If it's not free, it's not errata," but that's only what I've gleaned from Googling after the fact.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I just received my copies of the 3.5 rule books today. First off they are beautiful, some of the best covers I have seen from D&D .Now for the meat, from what I can tell Polymorph HAS been changed , in the last page of the book they detail the polymorph subschool and all instances of errata of polymorph (like wildshape baleful polymorph and the others).

TLDR: All errata is included in this book as well as the polymorph subschool.

am181d

Adventurer
I just received my copies of the 3.5 rule books today. First off they are beautiful, some of the best covers I have seen from D&D .Now for the meat, from what I can tell Polymorph HAS been changed , in the last page of the book they detail the polymorph subschool and all instances of errata of polymorph (like wildshape baleful polymorph and the others).

Thanks! So to clarify: are these rules simply added at the end? Does that mean that they're still there in their old/un-errata'd form earlier in the book, or is it just a summation at the end?

Treebore

First Post

OK, I'll buy a new PH, then.

Evenglare

Adventurer
The only thing added at the end is the polymorph subschool, but all the actual errata from the latest document from wotc is in the book. It came as a surprise that they added the polymorph subschool because I didn't see it in the errata.

am181d

Adventurer
The only thing added at the end is the polymorph subschool, but all the actual errata from the latest document from wotc is in the book. It came as a surprise that they added the polymorph subschool because I didn't see it in the errata.

Awesome. Will pick this up then.

Remove ads