• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone playing Babylon 5?

takyris

First Post
Ah, interesting. I thought they'd been oddly flippant about answering questions. Makes more sense if it wasn't their system to begin with.

That said, I really DID like the telepathy rules. In fact, I wanted to use them in a d20 Modern game, but I'm one of apparently six people nationwide who doesn't change nonlethal damage to make it accrue in d20 Modern, so the "nonlethal point for each use" thing wouldn't work for me. I was considering having it work by having each use do 2d6 nonlethal damage, +1 for each point of DC over 10, 1 for each use of telepathy in the last hour. So if you'd used telepathy twice in the past hour and tried to do something that required a DC14 check, that would be 2d6+4(DC) +2(uses) = 2d6+6... maybe enough to knock you out, more than likely enough to daze you for a moment.

As it turned out, my players really wanted to just use normal d20 Modern D&D-like spell stuff, so I shut up and gave them what they wanted and stopped complicating things to get the c00lest system Evar. :)

GreatLemur

Explorer
Selganor said:
That would be The Earth Alliance Fact Book.

But careful, there are quite a few cliches used in this book. So not everything regarding the nationalities therein should be taken too serious.
No kidding. That's the whole reason I'm interested. I can hardly believe they even made such a foolish thing. Wish I could find a copy to look through, but there's no way I'd buy one.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am currently using World Works terrain to make some sets for a B5 campaign. Like the show I intend to use each set for several locations. :)

My first scenario is set just as the Babylon Project begins, a mission in the ruins of San Diego. The second part takes place either on Babylon Station, or if the party did poorly in the first scenario on Mars colony. The third picks up during Sinclair's term as commander of B5. Needless to say I will be granting some experience during the down time for the characters, about one or two levels between the parts set in Earth system and the B station and again for the B5 segments.

I have told the players that there will be no space battles, as I dislike the ship combat rules in the game, so they should not build any characters around piloting skills. Also until the third scenario only human characters are allowed, particularly Earth Force personell.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

JBowtie

First Post
I ran a campaign some time ago; have plans for a new one once my current campaign ends.

It plays really well, especially if the GM is familiar with the show. Since there's a big political component to the game, I find that Dynasties and Demagogues is an absolute must when running my games.

If you're planning on running a campaign with a specific focus, it's a good idea to pick the corresponding sourcebook. I really, really wish I had all the books, but ordering from the States is so expensive (shipping + currency conversion kills).

dvvega

Explorer
The way I designed the first campaign run was just to follow the series, however depending on the characters chosen, they either participated directly (earth force mainly), performed some duties etc that aided in completing the goals of the episode (for example when Garibaldi is "out searching for clues") the characters are used or whatever they're up to (the smuggler group) gets interfered with or affected by the episode. For example the crack down on "Dust" and so forth.

Worked out nicely when combined with troupe style play from Ars Magica (multiple characters per player and they can choose which one to play each session).

The trick was ensuring that one session of gameplay equalled one episode of B5.

D

P.S. To JBowtie ... I order a lot of my RPG through Amazon and found the shipping + conversion is cheaper than most RPG stores in Australia. However I finally found an RPG store who allows you to "pre-order" so that they can make a bulk order at discount. This then reduces the cost of the book.

Ghostwind

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
My first scenario is set just as the Babylon Project begins, a mission in the ruins of San Diego. The second part takes either place on Babylon Station, or if the party did poorly in the first scenario on Mars colony. The third picks up during Sinclair's term as commander of B5. Needless to say I will be granting some experience during the down time for the characters, about one or two levels between the parts set in Earth system and the B station and again for the B5 segments.

I want to play in your campaign... :cool:

Remove ads