• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone playing Traveller?

buzz

Adventurer
I was flipping through my still-mostly-unread copy of Dungeon #97 and noticed the review of Traveller - T20. That prompted me to check out the companion article on the Paizo site. Which, in turn, prompted me to ask:

Is anyone playing T20, and if so, how's it going? I haven't noticed many T20 threads recently.

Part me of wants to eventually pick it up, but the other part just wants to bide my time until d20 Future comes out by purchasing more Alternity books on EBay. :D

chatdemon

First Post
Well, I play Traveller, but I haven't made the switch to T20 yet. It's, honestly, just a nostalgic love for the original, which I think handles the game just fine, so I'm reluctant to spend $40 on a book I most likely won't use.

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
In my opinon, T20 is the best D20 product on the market and it totally rocks for a realistic scifi campaign. I've been using it, along with Spycraft and a few others, for my StarGate campaign

Shadowdancer

First Post
I'm involved in two T20 games, and it's a lot of fun. One good thing about T20 is that it's easy for players familiar with d20 to pick up quickly -- that was important in one of our games.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I ran some old Traveller modules converted to T20, but I had to dump some of the new core classes in T20 because they really sucked. I used the ones from Blood & Space instead. Closer to d20 standards.

And the new character generation methoid in T20 is very painful.
Easier to just say "You're all 5th level".

But for the most part, it's okay.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Any reason why they sucked? And by changing, did you still managed to adhere to T20 feel for hard sci-fi, or did you make your T20 more d20 (less hard sci-fi)?

Vanguard

First Post
I'm running a game of T20. It's good. Somehow it manages to get that old nostalgic feeling while working well within the d20 framework.

The nostalgia might stem from the fact that T20 as just as many typos, omissions, and rules that need clarifications. As a matter of fact, it has been out for some time now and they aren't even close to releasing a complete erratta (they have released some).

But after years and years of bad Traveller rules, I'm used to it as a Referee.

Also, someone mentioned that character generation took too long. While there is some validity to that point, it wouldn't be Traveller without Prior History, which is what causes the extra time. Unlike in previous editions, you can't die in character generation anymore.

To be honest, I can't really say much about the combat system, as my players have yet to get into a fight. Other than the lack of a defense bonus (Like in SW, etc. I tacked one on as a house rule) the combat sections seem well thought out, with basic and advanced rules for vehicle and space combat.

Overall, it's worth checking out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads