• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone run a Pulp Campaign or publish pulp adventures?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Anyone know of any online or published Pulp Adventures or even campaign stories?

I want to see how others do this sort of Genre game.
I prefer D20 but i will take anything.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Try googling for sites dedicated to White Wolf's Adventure! game. There are a few good ones out there that have adventure ideas/logs.

DanMcS

Explorer
Did you see jonrog1's thread in the story hour forum? It's 1930s, using spycraft, so it's close. Link.

My group is going to be playing a pulpy game using Mutants and Masterminds, starting this weekend, it is looking like a lot of fun.

Voneth

First Post
Not only do I vouch for Adventure related stuff, I also suggest Farscape Adventure Hooks even though the stuff is based on a SF game. Trust me, most of these hooks need only to be cut and paste to replace Farscape stuff with "Nazi" or other historical stuff and the plot suggestions will fit in fine.

For example: The Unclean Masses

Set-up: Shortly after landing on an unfamiliar world, one of the characters accidentally bumps into a native cleaning up some garbage. Shortly thereafter none of the natives will speak to the character, referring to him as unclean. Soon the whole group is ostracized by the natives, making it difficult to get any trading done or even get launch clearance to leave the planet.

Eventually an offworld merchant tells them that the characters have been marked as unclean by the populace for touching one of the lowest members of society, the garbage handlers. The characters will have to undergo a pilgrimage to clean the taint from their spirit. Unfortunately the pilgrimage involves traveling several dozen metras north to drink at a holy spring.

Action: The spring is located atop a rather large mountain that it will take some time to climb. Also, the area between the city the characters begin in and the spring is filled with pilgrims and those who try to take advantage of the pilgrims; the characters could be beset by anything from merchants selling fake relics to bandits trying to relieve the pilgrims of their valuables. While the trip to the spring should probably not be remarkably dangerous, the characters should have a few obstacles thrown in their path.

Set this adventure in 1930s Africa or Egypt and you are set.

Turgenev

Hero
Voneth said:
Set this adventure in 1930s Africa or Egypt and you are set. [/B]

Or set it in India. Maybe the PCs touched one of the Harijan ("the untouchables"). This adventure idea would work with any society with a set caste system.

Since Albert_Fish seems such a big fan of the Forbidden Kingdoms game, I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned the Forbidden Kingdoms Adventure Seed Generator found on their website:

http://www.otherworlds.cx/generator.htm

Here are a few ideas from there (I think I might use a few of these myself)...

§ A South Asian zombie Clergy with a dark secret!
§ A Prussian dishevelled Diplomat possessed by the insect god of his ancestors!
§ A North-American amnesiac doctor who hides his scarred face behind a mask!
§ A fast-talking fascist Crimefighter with a mysterious case attached to his arm!
§ A European swordcane wielding doctor with acid for blood!

Course if you are looking for adventures that have all of the work already done for you... then that's another story. :) Give me time and I hope to add an adventure or two to my site (I'm just working out the crunchy bits for some of my more wacky ideas :p).

Cheers,
Tim

Albert_Fish

First Post
Exactly. I liked the adventure seed generators but i was curious to see how someone worked one of those kernels out to fruition. I am one of those minimal planner DMs so i like published adventures.

Keep us posted Turg.

HyrumOWC

First Post
Albert_Fish said:
Anyone know of any online or published Pulp Adventures or even campaign stories?

I want to see how others do this sort of Genre game.
I prefer D20 but i will take anything.

Paris: The Spectral City, part 1 of a 3 part campaign is in layout and should be out in April. It sends players to Paris where they get involved in trying to figure out why the Paris of Forbidden Kingdoms is forever shrouded in night, and why the dead seem to walk with impunity along the city streets. Part 2 is titled "Manchester: City of Wonder", (late summer) and Part 3 is "Berlin: Rise of the Reich". (fall)

I'll also get online today or tomorrow the demo adventure we had at Origins last year. This demo adventure is about the kidnapping of an heiress by the Evil Master of Terror, Dr. Phobos! (You can now download it by going here: http://www.otherworlds.cx/files/fkdemo.zip)

I'll also see if I can get in PDF form the playtest demo we ran most of last year titled "That Which is Sacred". It details the search for a missing professor after she failed to report from an excavation in Iceland.

Hyrum.

Last edited:

Albert_Fish

First Post
Hyrum
Thanks, i picked it up today. I was going to post on that fact. it looks good. It also seems that Pinnacle has an adventure ( which needs conversion) for thier soon to be published "Savage Worlds" Campaign ( www.peginc.com). I like your adventure so far ( even if i am only 2 pages into it.

Hyrum. i know you have seenthe "Pulp Heroes" polyhedron issue. How would you Equalize the Classes for Forbidden Kingdoms play? In particular i am looking at the "pulp heroes" magazine and seeing that clases tend to get far more class abilities than FK clases get.. Or maybe you guys could develop "mimic" classes to aviod copyright infringement ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads