• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone tried Kingsport Horror?

EATherrian

First Post
As the title says, I'm wondering if any Arkham Horror enthusiasts have gotten the latest expansion and what they think of it. I'm sure I'm going to get it, just like to hear the opinions.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I've played about 6 games with Kingsport/Dunwich/Arkham and I'm sort of undecided on it. There is a lot to like. The new location cards for Arkham, the mythos/outer world cards, GOO and investigator cards are cool.

What I don't like is that it seems to exasperate the economy of actions in the game. The rift mechanics is cool, but it's often hard enough to close gates without the added problems of having to explore locations in Kingsport to prevent rifts from opening (or losing the 4 turns it takes to close an open rift).

So far we've lost every game with Kingsport in the mix, but we'll keep trying till we win one!

EATherrian

First Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. AH is my favorite board game, and I've loved all the expansions for it, so I'm glad to hear the KH is keeping up the level. Nyarl, how does the game play with both extra boards? I'd imagine there'd be too much to do, but I'd love to see it in action.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've played with KH in my normal AH fashion... which is to say, solo.

It makes the game much harder as such, so I quickly abandoned using the extra board. The extra encounters and the "Guides" stayed right in; and I was able to seal all the gates as a result.

I recommend it above Dunwich Horror. I will probably play it with friends at some point.

Cheers!

Nebulous

Legend
AH is one of my favorite board games ever, although we don't play it real often. Timewise, it competes with rpgs. Anyway, i have bought Kingsport and read over it but not played it yet. It looks great, although like other mention, it seems to ratchet the difficulty up considerably, and we already think AH is pretty damn hard. We play with KiY, CotDP and Dunwich anyway. Whenever we do play, i'm thinking about replacing the Dunwich board with the Kingsport board.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads