• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone use a "Frankenstein" game system?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Oh Yeah! I use a heavily houseruled 3.5E system. Lots of OGL add-ons from 3pp, pieces of D20 Star Wars SAGA, and even a significant amount of pieces from 4E.

I love playing around with the mechanics. RPG kit bashing is almost a seperate hobby in and of itself for me. I could almost spend more time enjoying just that than actually playing (but only almost:eek:).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Often, yeah. For example, I like using the Traits and Passions from Pendragon in 3e (or d20 fantasy, I suppose). Works well.

Homebrewing a system is just about mandatory, I find. And, if there's something handy just sitting there in another system already, why not use it, I reckon.

The Little Raven

First Post
The longest and most successful fantasy campaign I ever ran was back in 1999/2000 using a cobbled together system composed of Vampire: Dark Ages with bits from other White Wolf games grafted in.

My Champions game is mostly 5th, but use some 4th and even 3rd ed material.

When I ran D&D 3.x I used stuff from many other d20 games that could be grafted on - some Psi stuff from Judge Dredd, stuff from Arcana Unearthed, and bits and pieces from others as well.

For a couple of years I ran a game (for the Wife and I) that was Mythus character creation system and skill system, merged with Rolemaster Magic and Combat - but useing the RM skill list mostly. I thought it worked well, but was just a bit too much work, so we ended up not doing it.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I myself have never really played using this sort of system. The closest I have gotten is mixing 3.0 and 3.5, and I do not think that really counts.:p

Gort

Explorer
I shoehorned Shadowrun into D20 modern once - it was a huge mess, wildly unbalanced, and was overall more trouble than it was worth.

Masquerade

First Post
I tend to alternate between D&D and Frankenstein for my games; when I'm running D&D, I'm always stitching together the next Frankenstein. The current monster is probably equal parts D&D 4e and Star Wars Saga Edition with further parts borrowed from BESM, L5R, Shadowrun, Etherscope, Anima, Dark Heresy...all over the place, not to mention the amount of inspiration I've taken from video games.

Jack7

First Post
When I first started playing true RPGs just about the only game around was D&D. But I changed it around heavily, once I became used to it and had played for a couple of years.

Later on when other games started coming out, even things that weren't RPGs, like Ogre, I took ideas from them and changed D&D some.

Also books and literature, myth, religion, and science caused me to change D&D around.

Years and years later when I returned to D&D I created a system that was part D&D, part sections from other games, and partly my own creation. Some people tell me it is an entirely different game but I just think of it as a variant form of D&D, or a very different form of D&D milieu that is semi-historical and uses real world religions, and political structures, and history, and literature, and so forth. And we do things like Vad and use real world skills too.

Later on I took the same basic game construct and created a related pulp system, modern/Intel/espionage/military system, and sci-fi system for my other milieus. Which has in turn led me to rewrite my fantasy milieu into an altered setting which I guess you could say is now less D&D and more a different game. Though it started out as D&D plus other things plus my own stuff.

I love playing around with the mechanics. RPG kit bashing is almost a seperate hobby in and of itself for me. I could almost spend more time enjoying just that than actually playing (but only almost).

Indeed. Lately I have even started to experiment with mixing totally different forms like RPGs and Virtual Reality, Alternative Reality, and Parallel Reality games. I have done work in the past by creating RPG simulations for training purposes (not based on D&D but based upon the RPG type model) both for business and law enforcement (I came close to winning a simulation contract for military training purposes but lost the bid, though I did provide consultant assistance). Now I'm trying to create some simulation efforts than combine RPG, VR, AR, and PR forms.

I'm trying a Frankenstein's monster of a system for the first time in a serious manner in my current game. To try and create something that I can run a Dresden Files game using D20 mechanics I've cobble-together something that's mostly D20 modern, with Aspects from Spirit of the Century, and a magic system based off of Star Wars Saga Edition. It's worked out better than I'd expected so far.

Remove ads