Anyone used cryptocurrencies?

Dungeoneer

First Post
Anonimity. Perfect for criminals, terrorists and those who want to avoid paying taxes to guverment.

The Silk Road used bitcoins. The FBI seizes like 140k bitcoins when they demantled the operation.

It's actually less anonymous than cash. Every bitcoin transaction leaves a digital paper trail so that it can be verified. It's possible to make it very hard to follow, but at the end of the day it's not completely anonymous.

Handing someone a stack of hundred dollar bills in an alley? THAT'S anonymous.

Janx

Hero
Anonimity. Perfect for criminals, terrorists and those who want to avoid paying taxes to guverment.

The Silk Road used bitcoins. The FBI seizes like 140k bitcoins when they demantled the operation.

Those sound like bad things (not to get into politics, but let's assume we all need to pay our taxes, but views differ on how much we should pay).

For proper accounting, and resolution of criminal activity, tracking data needs to be recorded. Like taxes, folks may disagree on how and when that tracking data gets used, but at its core a business needs to record every time somebody visits a site, makes changes, fiddles with money so when a crime DOES happen, there's an audit trail to detect who did it and where the money went is usually a clue.

truly anonymous money would make it harder to resolve criminal hacks. I'm not down with that.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Author Neal Stephenson predicted cryptocurrency (Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon) in the 90s. He saw it has what would pull down the modern nation-state, because states wouldn't be able to collect taxes.

To be continued.

Dungeoneer

First Post
A number of stores here in the US and across the rest of the world take Bitcoin,so I think it's highly possible that you can get a candy bar
I don't doubt that there is A Number of stores that take Bitcoin. However, the chances that the number is low and that there aren't any of those stores near where you live if you're not in NYC or Seattle are high.

I don't doubt that there is A Number of stores that take Bitcoin. However, the chances that the number is low and that there aren't any of those stores near where you live if you're not in NYC or Seattle are high.

http://bitcoincity.us/map-listings/?h=738 and click on view all businesses or http://usebitcoins.info/index.php/b...0;13;17;20;15;16;9;4;11;6;18;1;14;25;24;23;19

Researching stuff helps a lot, this was brought up on another forum which is why I know of the sites I linked to, along with about 3 mins of googling lol

Dungeoneer

First Post
http://bitcoincity.us/map-listings/?h=738 and click on view all businesses or http://usebitcoins.info/index.php/b...0;13;17;20;15;16;9;4;11;6;18;1;14;25;24;23;19

Researching stuff helps a lot, this was brought up on another forum which is why I know of the sites I linked to, along with about 3 mins of googling lol
I don't know how you think this disproves what I'm saying. It shows exactly what I'm talking about.

By the most generous of those maps, there are about fifty places that take bitcoin in the entire United States. And they are spread all over, so most of them are not going to be anywhere near where Bitcoing User X lives.

My point was not that about whether somewhere, somehow, bitcoin can be used to purchase a candy bar. My point is that for MOST people, where they live, cannot go to a local store and buy a candy bar with bitcoin. For instance, it turns out that in my neck of the woods (North Florida) I can use bitcoin to buy... guns*. From one store. YAY.

If I can't use the currency to buy stuff at the local supermarket or gas at the corner station, it's close to useless as a currency. It doesn't matter if there's a grocery store in Maine that takes bitcoin, that doesn't help me!

In general, people are using bitcoin to buy ordinary, every day stuff. Even if they wanted to, their options for bitcoin purchases are limited in any given region. And that's not likely to change, since the price of bitcoin fluctuates wildly from day to date and no major retailer is accept a currency that might double or halve in value overnight.

Buying exotic stuff, like drugs, seems to be the only area of purchasing where bitcoin has made real in-roads.

* Incidentally, any true blue libertarian isn't buying guns with bitcoin; he's printing them on his 3D printer!

Buying exotic stuff, like drugs, seems to be the only area of purchasing where bit coin has made real in-roads.
And exotic cars. Funny enough, there is a bakery around my area that
apparently accepts Bitcoin. Bitcoin is worth ~$945.00 USD (It keeps changing while I'm typing this up). I wonder how they taie that payment? You buy some pastries, and they break up a Bitcoin, kind of like the Dark Sun ceramic coins?

* Incidentally, any true blue libertarian isn't buying guns with bitcoin; he's printing them on his 3D printer!
The 3D printer was bought with Bitcoin.

Remove ads