• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Anyone using Trailblazer with Pathfinder?

This topic is a branch off the thread on making Pathfinder a bit more like 4E with house rules, streamlining iterative attacks, etc. I picked up Trailblazer based on that thread and am digesting it now. I like a lot of what I see, and I can see how some of those concepts made it into Pathfinder, yet I have a few questions for ENWorlders.

Is anyone currently using Trailblazer rules in their PF game? If so what parts?

I am especially curious about the magic system changes. The concept of ready spells and spell slots, along with BMB (Base Magic Bonus) to better facilitate multi-classing casters. Does that work with Pathfinder classes as is? I would assume you would have to change the Pathfinder wiz/sorc to fit with the Trailblazer classes for example.

I'm also curious about the 10 minute rest and using the action point system instead of the Hero point systems in the PF APG. The trailblazer action point system seems to have much more flexibility in its use.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience integrating the two.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
I've incorporated Action Points (along with Elite and Solo opponents), and they work well. The players enjoy them, at least.

I've gone to the Trailblazer method for follow-ups. Speeds things greatly.

I tried Trailblazer spells readied / spell slots, but I have mostly new-ish players right now, and it made their heads hurt too much (partly because it made the "charts in the book" not work). It also interferes too much in "splat classes" that have their own spell lists. So, I've backed away from it. For the record, I'd enjoy playing in a game that used it - I'll just never use it.

I'm using Trailblazer treasure / treasure parcels, and find it makes it much easier. And the players now use what they find.

And I adore the "ten-minute rest" rules. My group has been all about that.*

Overall, probably my single-best-buy ever, in terms of being a fascinating read and great take on the rules / ruleset - at a fantastic price-point. Strongly recommend to anyone.

* - My own solution to the "single encounter, then rest" style of play was that all XP was divided by 3, then multiplied by the number of encounters in a single "no-rest" period - so, if you only had one encounter, you got (my player's words) "crappy XP for it, because we went nova all over it", whereas if you had five or six encounters, you got bonus XP for the challenge. I've incorporated this into a rest - so now the players make the tactical decision - "Can we do another fight on this many resources, and get more XP for it, or do we rest - losing XP, but increasing our ability to accomplish campaign goals?" It's made for a few in-character scenes of tension, weighing long-term goals against short-term. Quite nice.

* - My own solution to the "single encounter, then rest" style of play was that all XP was divided by 3, then multiplied by the number of encounters in a single "no-rest" period - so, if you only had one encounter, you got (my player's words) "crappy XP for it, because we went nova all over it", whereas if you had five or six encounters, you got bonus XP for the challenge. I've incorporated this into a rest - so now the players make the tactical decision - "Can we do another fight on this many resources, and get more XP for it, or do we rest - losing XP, but increasing our ability to accomplish campaign goals?" It's made for a few in-character scenes of tension, weighing long-term goals against short-term. Quite nice.

That is a really great idea! I like having the party decide how much to press on, weighing risk verses reward. Consider your idea adopted, if you don't mind? :) I do something similar, albeit much smaller scale, with NPCs in the group. The PCs decide if the NPC is going to fight with them and take a share of XP or just hang back.

For action points, how often do you hand them out on average? I'm still trying to find a good frequency with APG hero points. Right now I'm giving them for level and story awards. so they typically get 1 hero point per 8 hours of session.

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
That is a really great idea! I like having the party decide how much to press on, weighing risk verses reward. Consider your idea adopted, if you don't mind? :) I do something similar, albeit much smaller scale, with NPCs in the group. The PCs decide if the NPC is going to fight with them and take a share of XP or just hang back.

Heh. I've been doing that with NPCs for years. I've had 8th level PC groups have their 12th-level mentor "watch the horses" so's he didn't suck up XP. :p

For action points, how often do you hand them out on average? I'm still trying to find a good frequency with APG hero points. Right now I'm giving them for level and story awards. so they typically get 1 hero point per 8 hours of session.

Action Points - On a Fumble ("Aww, your life sucks! Here's a cookie!"), plus when they level. I do my best to work it out so that they face a Solo creature just before they level. Yeah, it's Video-Gamey, and it might not work every time... ...but it's lotsa fun.

(Note that my posts in this thread so far sound very "game-y". There's a lot of RP at my table(s), too - but it is a game, and I've always been spectacularly lucky in getting RPers who also enjoy the 'game' element.)

PS - With Action / Hero Points - My thoughts are, as a player, you should always have one <less> than you want, so you're hungry to get another, and so that you're cautious about spending them.

Elodan

Adventurer
I've incorporated

• Action points
  • Iterative attacks
  • No item creation feats outside of potions and wands (maybe staffs)
  • Combat reactions (including how AoO was updated)
  • Allies don't provide cover
  • 5' step always = no AoO

Unfortunately, we've only played one session with these rules before real life issues put the campaign on hold. Hoping to start back up in the next month.

I've incorporated

• Action points
  • Iterative attacks
  • No item creation feats outside of potions and wands (maybe staffs)
  • Combat reactions (including how AoO was updated)
  • Allies don't provide cover
  • 5' step always = no AoO

Unfortunately, we've only played one session with these rules before real life issues put the campaign on hold. Hoping to start back up in the next month.

I know it was only one session but were they well received?

Elodan

Adventurer
I know it was only one session but were they well received?

Some thought actions points are some sort of "cheat" but all agreed to try them for a few sessions before passing final judgment.

Combat reactions were a big hit. The 5' step thing was considered common sense as was the allies and cover change.

The rest didn't really apply for that session.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads