• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone watching Night Stalker tonight?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
News room; did they have the old Kolchak as part of the press gang?

It was so-so for me, could have been better and I miss the fear the old Kolchak had.

Jamdin

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
News room; did they have the old Kolchak as part of the press gang?

It was indeed him and I almost blinked at the wrong time :)

I actually enjoyed tonight's episode since it set up Kolchak's relationship with Tony as well as the reason why he's so devoted into investigating crimes.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I thought it was okay, but some things didn't make sense. The ending seemed to come out of nowhere (ie, rushed).

Spoilers:

I mean, sprayable stuff that magically tracks people/critters who walk in it via a PDA? And no one, but those dog things happens to walk in it? What about lizards or birds or tumbleweeds?

Seems awfully convenient. Deux Ex Machina sort of stuff.

I mean, why wasn't that cave searched by police? Seems kinda obvious. One case , then another with a missing child and a similar MO. Why not search the area where previous cases occured...

Doesn't Kolchak seem awfully chipper most of the time, for a guy who recently lost his wife and unborn child? (Though sufficiently broody when talking about her case). I'm not sure when it happened, but it had to have been within a year, since those new Mustangs are well, new. And why wouldn't Gabrielle Union's character (whose name I forget) have heard about the case, since in this day and age, every time a pregnant woman gets killed mysteriously, it's on the news everywhere.

And wouldn't she have known the cop at the crime scene (and vice-versa), if she had been covering crime in the city for 4 years?

Still, I thought it was okay, but I think it would have been better if it weren't a "remake" of the Night Stalker. The new Kolchak is far different than the old one. The old one wanted the truth printed no matter what. The old one was kinda frumpy , while the new one is seemingly rich (his house is pretty fancy) and stylish. The old one drove a beat up Camaro convertible, this one drives a shiny new Mustang coupe. The old one yelled a lot at people. This one doesn't seem to even talk much.

And really, the name doesn't fit. I mean, the "Night Stalker" part, really fits vampires more than mysterious doggies.

OTOH, you now have other characters than just Kolchak. Both of whom are pretty good (and in Ms. Union's case, easy on the eyes). And the choice in cars is much better, though he should really also have a convertible. They are much better for monster hunting because you can simply jump in them when you have to flee. (Obviously they offer less protection, but most nasties can go through a glass window easy enough, so it's not that much of a factor)

Last edited:

trancejeremy said:
And really, the name doesn't fit. I mean, the "Night Stalker" part, really fits vampires more than mysterious doggies.
Or... werewolves. Remember at the very beginning of the show?
When the first pregnant lady is about to be dragged off, they show a man hiding in the construction site next door, not a doggie
trancejeremy said:
And the choice in cars is much better, though he should really also have a convertible.
I wonder if Ford is a sponsor? Besides the Mustang GT, obviously, the only other vehicle that they focused on enough for me to notice what it was was an F-150.

I thought it was OK. Pretty good premise, but the execution seemed just a tad bland to me. But I'm forgiving of pilots that start off a tiny bit weak; good pilots are very difficult to do, and plenty of shows have had mediocre pilots and gone on to be great shows. And this wasn't even as bad as mediocre, just not quite stellar.

Richards

Legend
This was okay, but I'd like it better if it was called something else, because they've made far too many changes for me to enjoy it as "Kolchak, the Night Stalker." Kolchak shouldn't have partners. Kolchak should constantly be at odds with his boss, Vincenzo. Kolchak should be "in your face" with his beliefs about werewolves, ghosts, vampires, etc., not caring that other people thought such views were ridiculous.

This was okay, but it's not a very good Kolchak.

Johnathan

Richards said:
This was okay, but I'd like it better if it was called something else, because they've made far too many changes for me to enjoy it as "Kolchak, the Night Stalker." Kolchak shouldn't have partners. Kolchak should constantly be at odds with his boss, Vincenzo. Kolchak should be "in your face" with his beliefs about werewolves, ghosts, vampires, etc., not caring that other people thought such views were ridiculous.

This was okay, but it's not a very good Kolchak.

Johnathan

Right. It was ridiculous that he held something back from the story. Kolchak always tries to get the "ludicrous" printed! It's Vincenzo's job to kill the "real" story; not Kolchak's.

I really, really, really wanted to hate this show 110%. But I think Stuart (or is it Stewart?) Townsend (or is it Townsen?) did a good job with some pretty mediocre material. It's just not Carl Kolchak.

The chemistry between him and Gabrielle Union was odd. They really seemed good together sometimes, but then the chemistry would just vanish. In mid-scene even. I hope it's just "new show unevenness" and it works out.

And I just call the photographer Jimmy Olson. ;)

What I really hated, more than anything else, were the words printed on the screen. It seemed like such a lame "We're the new X-Files! See, we even have words on the screen!!" ploy that it irked me. If the show can shake it's "I wanna be the new X-Files vibe" I might actually enjoy it. Even though it's not about Carl Kolchak. ;)

Barendd "the diaglo of The Night Stalker fandom" Nobeard

Rackhir

Explorer
I thought it was an absolute waste of time. The show has absolutely nothing to do with the original other than the name and that he's a reporter. It's basically just another weak X-Files knockoff. They kept nothing of what made the original show what it was. I was extremely disapointed.

Atridis

First Post
Rackhir said:
I thought it was an absolute waste of time.
I agree. Aside from the predictable, hackneyed plot, the wooden characters, and the painful dialogue, the show committed the ultimate sin: It was boring.

On the positive side of the ledger... Gabrielle Union is cute, and that house with the glass walls is really neat-looking.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Or... werewolves. Remember at the very beginning of the show?
When the first pregnant lady is about to be dragged off, they show a man hiding in the construction site next door, not a doggie

Ah, no, no I didn't.

I must confess to being a little squeamish when it comes to women getting killed, so I tend to not look and I must have missed that.

I thought it wasn't werewolves, just dog mutants or something. Because when he killed one with his car, it stayed a dog. Traditionally werewolves change back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads