• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anything you miss from older monster manual stat blocks?

cavetroll

Explorer
If we look back at Monster Manual 2 (AD&D) and compare it to 5e, is there stuff you miss?

For example, we have Frequency and No. Appearing. This to me gives you a lot of immediate information as to how you should encounter them.
Similarly but to a lesser extent the % in lair too. I just miss the immediacy of the information compared to reading paragraphs of text.

Treasure types perhaps didn't mean much and I didn't use them, but I like the concept of it.

Magic resistance as a mechanic I miss a lot.

What things do you think 5e is missing an opportunity to put as quick stats?

1646013764605.png

1646013693881.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The simplicity and compactness. It doesn’t need spread-out and space consuming layout. Just gimme the numbers and use the space you saved printing more monsters or filling in the crazy details of the ones already in the book.

This is from DCC RPG. But it’s handy and basically the same as the old-school format.

Gargoyle: Init +0; Atk claw +4 melee (1d4); AC 21; HD 2d8; MV 30’ or fly 30’; Act 1d20; SP resistant to non-magical weapons, stand still; SV Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +0; AL C.

This is followed by two paragraphs of text about the monster. The whole monster section is 60 pages long yet still manages to fit in 116 monsters and NPCs, including rules on how to create unique dragons, undead, and other monsters.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Yeah, "Number Appearing" in particular (or, rather the Habitat/Society and Ecology sections from the 2nd Ed Monstrous Manual) would be a good add.

The other thing I miss is actually from 4e days: the monster roles and the solo/elite/minion split. Those were possibly the best innovation in 4e's design, and it's a shame 5e took a backwards step in this area (IMO).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
In my opinion, the best monster statblocks were from AD&D 2nd Edition. On top of the # appearing and % in lair, it had the activity cycle and environment information.

Of course, you had to read through a wall of text to pick out how stuff actually worked, but the stat block itself was full of great and readily available information.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I miss using logic when sorting the monsters in some sort of alphabetical mix. If I'm looking for an ooze, I would not think to look in letter Y or B when looking for yellow mold or black pudding. It should be under O with all the oozes.

Remove ads