• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO...Cleave...again...

Coredump

Explorer
My apologies, I know this has been discussed a number of times; but I seem to remember there was some disagreement...and my memory is not working properly.

If you get an AoO, and 'drop' your opponent, can you then use cleave to hit someone else in range?

If you trip during an AoO, can you then use Imp Trip to also attack them?

Thanks folks

Dimwhit

Explorer
I believe the answer is yes on both. However, keep in mind that with Cleave, it's once per round, so if you cleave during an AoO, you can't during your regular turn that round.

Not quite as sure about tripping and getting the extra attack, but I don't recall anything that prohibits it.

irdeggman

First Post
Yes and yes.

You can use any attack method you nomrally could (melee that is) during an AoO.

Cleave can only be used once a round and gives you one extra attack. So if you used cleave during your normal action you can;t useit in an AoO or vice versa.

ForceUser

Explorer
irdeggman said:
You can use any attack method you nomrally could (melee that is) during an AoO.
As my player found out to his chagrin when he made a flying charge on a glabrezu and it plucked him out of the air with improved grab on an attack of opportunity. :)

To those DMs who don't allow special attacks on an AoO, I say "Fie!" Remember, if the players can do it, so can the monsters.

NimrodvanHall

First Post
we disalow cleave on AoO due to this reasoning:
Why should Joe the fighter be abled to attack you one more time in a round because i'm so stupid to die when i switch a weapon?

ForceUser

Explorer
NimrodvanHall said:
Why should Joe the fighter be abled to attack you one more time in a round because i'm so stupid to die when i switch a weapon?
Because Joe the fighter is a total badass, that's why. ;)

Quasqueton

First Post
Can you trip on an AoO without a "trip weapon"? Since trip is an unarmed touch attack, I would think you must be threatening the area with an unarmed attack (such as a monk) to be able to use trip or grapple as an AoO.

Can a bodyguard (currently armed with shield and sword) trip someone who tries to run past him? Can he grapple? (Grappling would mean he'd have to drop the sword, but such a free action must occur on his turn, so could not happen in an AoO.)

Am I correct?

Quasqueton

Pinotage

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
Can you trip on an AoO without a "trip weapon"? Since trip is an unarmed touch attack, I would think you must be threatening the area with an unarmed attack (such as a monk) to be able to use trip or grapple as an AoO.

Can a bodyguard (currently armed with shield and sword) trip someone who tries to run past him? Can he grapple? (Grappling would mean he'd have to drop the sword, but such a free action must occur on his turn, so could not happen in an AoO.)

Am I correct?

Quasqueton

Yes, you can trip as part of an AoO. And, yes, you can also grapple as part of an AoO. Anything that takes the place of an 'attack' action can be used as part of the AoO.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads