• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO for standing up, any way around it?

strongbow

First Post
Is there a feat/class ability to stand up from prone and not provoke an AoO? what feats/class abilities from 3.0 should qualify?

As it stands now, I know of nothing, since the rules mechanic did not exist in 3.0. The spiked chain fighter with Knockdown/Improved Trip is now exceptionally nasty. In converting game materials what feats/class abilities from 3.0 might qualify?

Possible candidates include:

Prone Attack (Oriental Adventures)
Make an attack, if you succeed, you can stand up as a free action

Kip up (Thief-Acrobat Song & Silence Prestige Class)
Lets you stand up as a free action

High DC Tumble (Oriental Adventures)
Lets you stand up as a free action

Divine Salient Ability Stand Up ;)

Murrdox

First Post
We ran into this last night with one of our first sessions using Knockdown and Improved Trip.

First of all, we do not allow the +4 to trip attacks while using Knockdown. Knockdown isn't a TRUE trip attack, thus you don't get the bonus. You're not tripping them, you're just hitting them really hard.

Secondly, it becomes more important to roll away 5' and then stand up, rather than stand up in your opponent's threatened area. You can roll OUT of someone's normal threat range, or roll IN to a reach weapon's threat range.

Tripping in general just became much nastier.

I think a Feat allowing you to stand up from prone without provoking an AoO would be just fine.

sithramir

First Post
Murrdox said:
We ran into this last night with one of our first sessions using Knockdown and Improved Trip.

First of all, we do not allow the +4 to trip attacks while using Knockdown. Knockdown isn't a TRUE trip attack, thus you don't get the bonus. You're not tripping them, you're just hitting them really hard.

Secondly, it becomes more important to roll away 5' and then stand up, rather than stand up in your opponent's threatened area. You can roll OUT of someone's normal threat range, or roll IN to a reach weapon's threat range.

Tripping in general just became much nastier.

I think a Feat allowing you to stand up from prone without provoking an AoO would be just fine.

I'd just like to note that it states in the 3.5 PHB that you can only crawl away 5' max movement and that this still incurs an AoO from the guy. Theres no way to flee from prone without it anymore. I am at work so I can't tell you a page. You also incur an AoO for rolling into the characters square to try to grapple or avoid a reach weapon. Basically trip is overpowered :)

Note that there are still 5' steps that incur AoO's. This is one of them.

And maybe it was the same in 3.0 but was withdrawing (moving form an opponent without incurring an AoO) always a full round action? It is now which is rough.

Last edited:

Gossamerblade

First Post
There is a class ability in one of the splat books call Kip-Up. I think it's in one of the psuedo martial arts PCs. Lets you stand up from prone as a free action. Not sure if it references AoO's because standing up did not provoke one in 3.0, but I would house rule that it does not provoke since it is a skilled stand up. The problem with standing from prone normally is that it takes a MEA action.

The problem with standing right up from prone quickly is that it takes your hands to do it. You might house rule that you can move into a sitting position as MEA with no AoO one round. This does not require the use of your hands to do. The next round you could stand from sitting as MEA with no AoO because you can stand using only your legs and defend yourself on the way up. Takes two rounds to do but you don't get hit.

Tellerve

I'm going to use a house rule that standing up as a standard action does not provoke an AoO, as your guarding yourself with that standard action as you get up. *shrugs* One of the guys in the group I played with brought it up and I think it is a good one, but certainly a house ruling.

As for kip-ups, they are an ability from some prestige classes or a DC 35 tumble check from OA. I used to house rule it was DC 20, same as a fast mount dismount on a horse. I'm not sure how I'll handle it now, but I always though dc 35 was far too high.

Tellerve

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Tellerve said:
As for kip-ups, they are an ability from some prestige classes or a DC 35 tumble check from OA. I used to house rule it was DC 20, same as a fast mount dismount on a horse. I'm not sure how I'll handle it now, but I always though dc 35 was far too high.

As do I, considering I knew guys who could do it consistently in high school. Not to mention the cheerleaders.

SubMensa

First Post
Standing up got nerfed!

In 3.0 PHB p.128 te chart lists standing up as bieng a move equiv action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Why the chance, did they standing up was too powerfull. Was the rampant use of standing up actions removing their "special" flavor. How often was this ability abused in the game?

Cedric

First Post
Tumble check, DC 15 to "move" through an unoccupied square without provoking an attack of opportunity. This limits movement to 1/2, but since standing up is your move equivalent action, that's irrelevant.

Cedric

Remove ads