• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO for standing up, any way around it?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Standing up is moving.

1. It doesn't fit the definition of "moving", though, in that you're not travelling actual distance. Standing up does not preclude a 5' step; "moving" does.

2. You're not moving "through" an unoccupied square, are you?

-Hyp.

Kodam

First Post
Its "move-equivalent". So for game purposes moving actual distance is equal to sheathing your weapon is equal to picking up an item is equal to standing up. All this is "movement" causing an AoO.
I like the combined tumble DC 15/full round-action idea, too.

How about a feat which lets you perform MEAs in your own 5-ft.-square (no actual movement!) w/o provoking AoOs?? Would that feat be overpowered?

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
Kodam said:
Its "move-equivalent". So for game purposes moving actual distance is equal to sheathing your weapon is equal to picking up an item is equal to standing up.

No. That is wrong. MEAs are just some actions which take the place of movement in a standard action or take the place of an entire partial action. Some MEAs provoke AoA, some not. Just read the table in PHB P.128. "Stand up from prone" DOES NOT provoke AoA.

*Edit
I have just checked new 3.5e PHB I just got yesterday. Now in 3.5e, "Stand up from prone" provokes an AoA. But as people are using "MEA" in this thread, I assume we are talking about 3.0e rule. If not, that is whole different story.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Its "move-equivalent". So for game purposes moving actual distance is equal to sheathing your weapon is equal to picking up an item is equal to standing up. All this is "movement" causing an AoO.

No, moving actual distance is movement causing an AoO.

Standing up, sheathing a weapon, or picking up an item are all non-movement actions which provoke AoOs, and happen to take as long during your personal "round" as moving your speed.

For example, the Mobility feat does nothing for your AC against AoOs incurred by sheathing a weapon.

-Hyp.

Paragon249

First Post
I think that the only ways to stand up from Prone without provoking an AoO from a adjacent threatening creature are as follows.

1. Crawl(MA) 5 ft with a DC 15+ Tumble Check to avoid AoO for crawling.

2. Stand up(MA) with a DC 15+ Tumble Check to avoid AoO for standing up.

This works because Tumbling negates AoO's for moving. And while no you couln't still move up to half your speed as part of either of these move actions, up to half of your movement left in that round would not provoke AoO's because of your tumble. Even though you used a move action, you moved no actual distance.

Last edited:

Vurt

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

1. It doesn't fit the definition of "moving", though, in that you're not travelling actual distance. Standing up does not preclude a 5' step; "moving" does.

2. You're not moving "through" an unoccupied square, are you?

Surely D&D 3.5 is invariant under a 90 degree rotation about one axis. :D

1) Think of it as crawling 5 ft. in the third dimension?

2) Top down, the square is occupied. Viewed from the side, a prone opponent only occupies the square's (errr... cube's?) "edge". In such a case, the square/cube is indeed (mostly) unoccupied.

-- Vurt

Last edited:

Remove ads