• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO 'refresh' help!

txwad

First Post
My gaming group is having a dispute over a technicality on the AoO 'refresh'. Lets say Pavilio will try to move into range to attack an atypical monstrous centipede (with 10' reach). The centipede just used his AoO in the preceding round to attack one of Pavilio's comrades who tried the same move. Therefore, the centipede spent the AoO for the preceding round (it doesnt have combat reflexes). For the new round, Pavilio has the initiative advantage over the centipede. Simply, does the centipede get a fresh AoO because it is now round #2, or must the centipede wait until his initiative to 'refresh' his AoO.

Basically, what Im saying is that 'round' has two meanings. So when AoO says you get 1 AoO per round, does that mean you get a fresh AoO each time you reach your initiative or does it mean that each time the new round rolls up, you get a new AoO.

The 3.5 PHB, on p.138, says "for almost all purposes, there is no relevance to the end of a round or the beginning of a round. The term 'round' works like the word month. A month can mean either a calendar month or a span of time from a day in one month to the same day in the next month. In the same way, a round can be a segment of game time starting with the first character to act and ending with the last, but it usually means a span of time from one round to the same initiative count in the next round."

the question is which of the two definitions of rounds is applicable to the rule that you get 1 AoO per round!

Thanks
Mark

da chicken

First Post
AoO should refreh per initiative, not per actual round of combat. So in your example, the centipede would get no AoO until it gets another chance to act. The proof you have is right there in the quote you have from the PH.

I've got a DM who plays by the per round refresh, and refuses to entertain arguments to the contrary. Makes me wish I never took Improved Initiative, since it means I'm always subject to everyone's AoO.

txwad

First Post
any other opinions

The problem with the quote and the reason why I put it in there is that it precisely admits to two meanings. Almost all does not equate to always particularly when the next sentence relates to allowing both meanings.

You say that your dm disagrees. What is his rationale? Aside from the obvious point that clearing AoOs every fresh round is simply easier to handle and remember?

How else do others play?

kwiqsilver

First Post
In 3.x they did away with the idea of universal rounds. A round is now specific to each character. It begins on that character's action and ends just before that character's next action. Spell duration, AoO 'refreshing', Power Attack or Combat Expertise modifiers, etc. all use this concept of a round.

da chicken

First Post
txwad said:
The problem with the quote and the reason why I put it in there is that it precisely admits to two meanings. Almost all does not equate to always particularly when the next sentence relates to allowing both meanings.

Yeah, but it also says that per initiative is the universal default. So unless it says otherwise (and it doesn't) you use that definition.

You say that your dm disagrees.

A DM disagrees. When I DM or when one of the other guys do, it's the other way.

What is his rationale? Aside from the obvious point that clearing AoOs every fresh round is simply easier to handle and remember?

"Easier" is his only rationale. Nevermind that it's actually more difficult because everybody else plays right.

txwad

First Post
ok

kwiqsilver said:
In 3.x they did away with the idea of universal rounds. A round is now specific to each character. It begins on that character's action and ends just before that character's next action. Spell duration, AoO 'refreshing', Power Attack or Combat Expertise modifiers, etc. all use this concept of a round.

Actually, not exactly. In 3x, the PHB notes that round admits to two meanings -- the round period and the new, initiative to initiative round on a player specific basis, though it does say that the second is the more likely used. You are certainly correct with respect to spells using that concept. Nevertheless, it is a nagging bother to me that it isnt really 'spelled out' anywhere.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads