• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Apes with claw attacks?

Wolfspider

Explorer
Does it strike anyone else as strange that apes in 3.5 are listed as having claw attacks? I always imagined them more as bashers than anything else.

Anyone see any problems with replacing the two claw attack with two bash attacks?

Thanks!

shilsen

Adventurer
No, it doesn't strike me as strange, simply because I don't assume that apes in D&D are anything like apes in the real world. They're much closer, in my estimation, to the apes that Conan seems to run into on a very regular basis in Howard's stories (which often do attack with claws).

That said, I don't see any problem whatsoever with replacing the 2 claw attacks with 2 bash/slam attacks.

XCorvis

First Post
I see no problem with replacing it, but have you ever looked at an ape's nails? I would not want to get scratched by those. Claws seem entirely appropriate to me.

mvincent

Explorer
shilsen said:
I don't assume that apes in D&D are anything like apes in the real world. They're much closer, in my estimation, to the apes that Conan seems to run into on a very regular basis in Howard's stories (which often do attack with claws).
Quoted for truth. D&D apes are actually a separate species than our gorillas. From the rules:
"These powerful omnivores resemble gorillas but are far more aggressive"

This harkens back to when they were called "carnivorous apes" in AD&D, and were heavily influenced by Burroughs’ man-eating apes in the Conan books (also the Mangani in the Tarzan books).

mvincent

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
Does it strike anyone else as strange that apes in 3.5 are listed as having claw attacks?
Despite the above info, I do agree it is a bit odd. Of course, they are size large and have reach even though "An adult male ape is 5½ to 6 feet tall", so maybe it is hard to use a slam at that range ;).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I don't have a problem.

1.) as mentioned above I identify these more as the sort of "apes" seen in a lot of Conan stories (didn't they show up on Barsoom too, it's been a long time since I read that? Or were those girallons?)

2.) great apes may not have the claws of a lion but their nails are still strong, jagged, and able to leave a nasty gash. For that matter a person with strong nails can do the same when they hit you open-handed.

mvincent

Explorer
HeavenShallBurn said:
2.) great apes may not have the claws of a lion but their nails are still strong, jagged, and able to leave a nasty gash.
In the "Gorilla vs. Leopard" episode of Animal Face-off*, they only used slams and bites (and the bite was pretty minimal). Scratching wasn't even considered.

* A TV show where they go into in-depth studies of the damage dealing potential of certain animals... then run 3-D computer simulations of possible combats.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
mvincent said:
In the "Gorilla vs. Leopard" episode of Animal Face-off*, they only used slams and bites (and the bite was pretty minimal). Scratching wasn't even considered.

* A TV show where they go into in-depth studies of the damage dealing potential of certain animals... then run 3-D computer simulations of the possible combat.
Yes but to be kind that TV show was also a joke of the highest order. Much like Mythbusters it's fun to watch but there's very little science in what they do. Nothing wrong as entertainment but for realism, minimal value aside from the occasional fluke.

Kwitchit

First Post
mvincent said:
Despite the above info, I do agree it is a bit odd. Of course, they are size large and have reach even though "An adult male ape is 5½ to 6 feet tall", so maybe it is hard to use a slam at that range ;).
I think it means 6 feet tall when walking on its knuckles like a gorilla:

gorilla.gif

Something that size would definitely have 10 foot reach. It's the size of a large silverback gorilla IRL.

Think of it this way: 10 feet for a gorilla is 2 arm lengths. Stand up, and try and punch something 2 arms lengths away. It's easy- you just step into the punch. Admittedly, the gorilla has shorter legs, but 10 feet is an overestimate- the reach is actually "5-10 feet" in that it can reach someone standing between 5 and 10 feet away.

Remove ads